$299 Char-Griller Kamado First Looks

I also think it will do a reasonably good job of keeping rain out.

I haven't bought a cover for it yet, and we had two very heavy thunderstorms last weekend. When I emptied the ash pan I got a little surprise! About two cups of water had collected through the lower vent and I dumped most of it on me :mad:

Learned my lesson! It's covered now!

--Mike

went to lowe's yesterday and saw it. For the price, it's nice I guess. But build quality is just not there. The lid felt cheap and flimsy. The top damper assembly didn't look well built. I guess you get what you pay for.

Are you sure you saw the right one? I was in Gander Mt. yesterday and they had one with wood shelves and the SS top vent. Not good quality there. Mine is much better and works OK.

I just need to learn what I can use the little bugger for.

im assuming it was just because it wasn't put together properly. But the damper top was definitely cheap stamped black metal. Not stainless. It's a nice looking cooker. Im sure it's efficient. Accessory wise I'm sure companies will start producing stuff on par with what they've done for inside the egg.

I haven't bought a cover for it yet, and we had two very heavy thunderstorms last weekend. When I emptied the ash pan I got a little surprise! About two cups of water had collected through the lower vent and I dumped most of it on me :mad:

Learned my lesson! It's covered now!

--Mike

Good to know! Thanks for sharing that. Goes to show you what happens when I make assumptions!:oops::wacko:

went to lowe's yesterday and saw it. For the price, it's nice I guess. But build quality is just not there. The lid felt cheap and flimsy. The top damper assembly didn't look well built. I guess you get what you pay for.

I wouldn't say that to the UDS guys. :mrgreen:

I have an Academy Outside Gourmet Kamado (Ceramic) it is very similar to a large Egg, but 1/2 the price of an Egg and it comes with a really nice cart.

I have looked at one @ my local Lowes and apparently it was put together really well as it was very solid. I plan on getting one very soon, maybe this Sunday.

From what I have been told the ones with the s/s top vent is an old style. The new one should have a heavier powder coated vent.

The local Lowes has one set up. I'm not a ceramic cooker guy(and don't know much about them) but I was surprised that the outside "shell" isn't solid ceramic.

After a week of deliberation I took the plunge and got one today over a WSM. Just finished the seasoning run. So far, so good. We will see how it goes

I've one several times now and feel like its an ok buy. Seems to hold temp fairly well just be prepared to have it mostly closed down. I will note my has been rained on once or twice and you can already see rust running down from the leg fasteners. The leg fasteners will also strip easily so go gentle when tightening. It also looks like grease is removing the paint from the dome vent. Overall I like it but I question how long it will be in service.

how hard is it to add charcoal or wood to it if you are trying to do a low and slow for 6-10hrs? Do you have to remove your food to get to the coals?

I've got a bubba keg and have done a 10hr low & slow with it so this one should be able to just fine.

how hard is it to add charcoal or wood to it if you are trying to do a low and slow for 6-10hrs? Do you have to remove your food to get to the coals?

The Akorn should cook a lot longer than that without needing to add any fuel.

AZ Smoker, there is a removable center piece in the cooking grate. But if you're cooking low and slow you're gonna need to take out the heat deflector to add fuel, which of course means removing the cooking grate and the meat.

Yes, you do use the minion method. Stuff the fire grate with lump and wood chunks and just a few lit coals. If you dump a chimney load of red-hot lump into this rig you ain't gonna be cookin' low and slow anytime soon. As JM said, this thing is very fuel efficient. Unless you badly misjudge your initial charcoal load you'll make your cook with plenty of lump to spare.

I made a diffuser plate for mine out of 1/2" plate with the center cut out and with a cover for it. If I ever need to add coals I can move the meat to the side, lift the center of the grate off and slide my center cover over for access to my coals. It also comes in handy for toasting marshmallows for s'mores.

MARSHMELLO.jpg

Thanks man. Would you say the Kamado or the WSM 22" is more practical for taking camping? we camp a lot all summer and drive about 90 miles to our camping spot about 3x a month.

Thanks man. Would you say the Kamado or the WSM 22" is more practical for taking camping? we camp a lot all summer and drive about 90 miles to our camping spot about 3x a month.
Both are excellent smokers, but the CGK is more versatile. It will smoke, grill, you can even get it up to 625 and make pizzas on it. I wouldnt think it would be any harder to drag around than the 22 WSM.

Another option would be making a Smokey Joe mod with a tamale pot. Then you would have something that is a little more compact, and will work like the WSM if you wanted to smoke and use the SJ for grilling.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112816
I personally wouldn't travel much with a ceramic cooker. To much probability of it cracking or worse

The Char Griller Kamado is insulated steel, not ceramic.

--Mike

Back