• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

expanded metal

chingador

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Where is a good place to buy expanded metal. I scoured my local Home Depot and could not find any. I asked the "helpful" employees, and I might have well been asking for the secret of life.

I am in the Housotn area.

Where I live the yellow pages list it under Steel Distributors. We have full blown steel suppliers on 40+ acres, down to the little shop on the corner that is the size of a home lot. I buy mine at the little shop on the corner.

chingador said:
Where is a good place to buy expanded metal. I scoured my local Home Depot and could not find any. I asked the "helpful" employees, and I might have well been asking for the secret of life.

Look under "Steel Distributors" or "Steel Recycling" in the yellow pages. They will have a variety of sizes in either a raised or flat profile. You can choose between stainless and carbon steel. It will be cheaper if you buy a "drop" (which is a partial sheet, leftover from another order) rather than having them cut a piece for you to order.

These are both flat profile.

97a79ce2.jpg

The local metal distributor in my area lets me go back and pick out whatever "drops" or scrap I want. Then they set a price. Always cash. And always a very good deal.

.... also, note thirdeye's pics ..... that is 'flattened' expanded steel. I live in a small town in southwestern Utah, and local welders have lots of different size expando, but none of the local stuff is 'flattened'. Cleaning my grates is a PITA and unless temps are right at removal time, stuff sticks.

Apologies if you already knew this.

the expanded metal is ALWAYS hidden inthe home depots.

Find the isles where the work gloves, bungee cords etc.. in or around that isle, 1 or 2 up fom the lumber... There should be a small display with maybe a 4x4 foot footprint. It has steel rods, flats, angle iron in it, standing up. Directly above that display are 24x24" pieces of alminum, brass, decorative grate, AND......

Expanded steel... usually a flat white box with red or blue writing. Its always there cause no one else can find it either. :)

Here's a link for manufacturers and distributors for expanded metals - ton's of sources... quality and patterns vary along with price so shop around... just close off to Texas to find the locals in your area as freight will be less for you.

http://www.thomasnet.com/nsearch.html?cov=NA&which=prod&what=Metal%3A+Expanded&navsec=search&heading=50550201

I'd recommend my company which is an industrial distributor, but we took it out of our offering a while back... I'm in the process of adding it back in to the next catalog... otherwise, check my competitors website... www.mcmaster.com and do a search for Expanded Metal... they have it.

one note about HD expando is that it only comes in small pieces. Not enough to really do anything major with. i bought a couple of pieces through the fireplace store here to put in my fire box. one or two cooks later it was warped all to hell. of course i didnt reinforce it or make a basket or anything. i just laid it over a couple of fire bricks.
Recycling centers usually have a good source of expanded metal and pretty reasonable on the scraps.

You can find expanded metal at ACE hardware stores pretty regularly. Last time I looked they had both 1/2" and 3/4" flattened stock in various sizes up to 24x24 and 18x30 inches. In the case that you need bigger pieces, a steel distributor is a better bet.

BBQchef33 said:

Find the isles where the work gloves, bungee cords etc.. in or around that isle, 1 or 2 up fom the lumber... There should be a small display with maybe a 4x4 foot footprint. It has steel rods, flats, angle iron in it, standing up. Directly above that display are 24x24" pieces of alminum, brass, decorative grate, AND......

Expanded steel... usually a flat white box with red or blue writing. Its always there cause no one else can find it either. :)

I found some at HD, but like Phil said - it's hidden. Maybe ask the "helpful folks" where their sheet metal is, 'cause at my store they were together.

The following is from KCquer:

"I susupect you've read this already but I'll mention it just in case, do not use galvanized metal in you smoker. Toxic fumes, zinc poisoning, just bad news, don't use it."

BBQchef33 said:

Ok, Phil. Your knowledge of Home Depot is scaring me.

Just walked into the little Home Depot below my office in Manhattan (that barely carries lumber, mind you) and 3 minutes later I find 3/4x24x24" expanded steel above the rods, etc.

Now I guess I'll go build me another charcoal basket or something.:mrgreen:

After going thru about 4 pieces of the HD expanded metal as my fire grate, I am looking for something heavier gauge so that perhaps it won't warp quite so quickly. After going to the links that Vinny provided, I think I am more confused than ever about this stuff. When the measurement is in gauge, is that thicker than when give as decimal point?

gary

If you only need a small sheet, I found some at Northern Tool & Equipment when I was making my charcoal basket......they only had sheets about 24x30 inches or so and smaller.

Where is a good place to buy expanded metal.

Triple S Steel. They have a location off Monroe.... 713 941-1941. I buy most of my steel from them. Very reasonable... also very busy.

The first basket I designed had expanded in the bottom and it burned out quickly plus the coals fall thru the expanded and snuff out too soon, so in the production run, I used 1/2 inch rebar spaced on 1 inch centers. That spacing allows the coals to burn almost completely before falling into the ash, so you get more heat for your money and that rebar will out last the sheet metal on your Q'er.

I used Standard (not flattened 3/4" #9 (10ga) Expanded for the ends (where air enters and heat exits into cooking chamber). You will not find that at home depot or lowes. If you want a small piece, go to a local welding shop, they might have a scrap piece, but the coals will fall thru it too soon. If you don't care, it will last longer that anything you get at home depot.

Last edited:
Back