MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:11 PM   #1
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Selling wares at contests

Again in my shameless pursuit of minimizing costs I was wondering how contest promoters feel about a team hawking their rubs or maybe even teashirts or hats? At the Grillkings, our first contest ever we had a couple of people ask us if we sold 2 Fat Polocks teashirts. I guess some people like fat polocks or at least the team name.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2005, 09:14 PM   #2
BrooklynQ
Banned

I've seen both done at contests. Hell, I've even done some, but I think you'd need to check with the contest organizer. Some of the vendors who paid for the right to sell might be a little pissed off.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2005, 07:00 AM   #3
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Most contests down here allow vending - food, shirts, etc. - and your entry fee is your fee - however, at most KCBS events that vend you have to accept "pig bucks" (script) and turn it in - the promoters/organizers get 10% - not bad for food and such but it hurts the rubs/sauce guys a bit since that 10% is often their primary margin.

Each event will vary a bit.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2005, 07:31 AM   #4
Quigley
Got Wood.

Many events sell their own shirts, hats, etc. and do not allow your own sales. Also I have been to some that only allow vending of food and no beverage. The organizers sell the beverage because there is a much larger mark up. I have been to some event that took 25% of the take. That is why I gave up vending a long time ago. I don't like working for free.
Quigley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2005, 07:59 AM   #5
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

KCBS has nothing at al to do with any vending, it's just that the KCBS contests in Florida are the biggest and most sucessful, so they can take a cut. I'm pretty sure the better FBA contests charge you to vend too, and it's all typically 20%.

I think this will all come to a screetching halt one of these days when some health inspector shows up, or someone gets sick. It's all done illegally.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2005, 08:53 AM   #6
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

We sell tee shirts, never had a problem as long as its done somewhat discreetly. We leave shirts out on the tables and people come asking us for them. sometimes the wife gets a little rambunctious and she starts hawking them... puts one on, and starts wandering the crowd telling people..."u NEED a tee shirt". We never had a problem.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2005, 09:26 AM   #7
Sawdustguy

We don't want to have anything to do with vending food. This is a hobby and we don't want to get into the catering business. We have found a company that does custom blending, packaging and labeling that will do our rub in smaller quantities. Some of you may already be using them. Their name is ICA Gormet Seasonings (http://www.memphi.net/blending.html). All we try trying to do is sell a few teashirts, maybe a couple of hats and maybe a couple bottles of rub to try to offset some of our costs. Again, we are not trying to make a fortune here and will never come close to breaking even. Ray is right though, someday, someone will get sick and teams who sell their food without vending licenses or the proper department of health certifications will be in for a big surprise.

Stupidity for Dummies

Old 10-20-2005, 09:51 AM   #8
chad

I didn't mean to imply that KCBS had control or set the rules - I said "at KCBS events". FBA events are similar - it's up to the promoters (not the sanctioning body) whether and what you vend.

I've seen the drink thing at most events - also, the organizers do enforce their rules. Cash under the table and selling without "permit" will get you sanctioned...at most events.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2005, 02:47 PM   #9
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

So, I guess my idea of setting up a liquor bar and selling booze won't work at a BBQ comp!!! Just kidding. I always run out keeping myself entertained.
Smoke On!!!!!!
Ed
kickassbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2005, 06:17 PM   #10
Sawdustguy

Ed,

If your handle wasn't Kickassbbq I would have said wrong smoke fella.

Stupidity for Dummies

Old 10-20-2005, 07:58 PM   #11
parrothead

Good thread! I have seen a little bit of everything. I have sen it dis-allowed, but not inforced.

Believe you me, when I have stuff to sell, it will be sold.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2005, 09:07 PM   #12
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

due to health concerns brought up above its probably better that food vending is restricted to a select few, but everybody should be allowed to sell t-shirts, hats and professionally packaged rubs and sauces, it helps to defray costs and is also great promotion for bbq in general and that should benefit promoters and teams alike. here's an idea. why not print up shirts with a list of events that the team plans to enter, like a rock and roll tour shirt. oh, and sawdustguy, thanks for that link. i have been interested in doing that for a long time.
phil
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2005, 10:07 PM   #13
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

Wink

[QUOTE=drbbq]KCBS has nothing at al to do with any vending, it's just that the KCBS contests in Florida are the biggest and most sucessful, so they can take a cut. I'm pretty sure the better FBA contests charge you to vend too, and it's all typically 20%.

Hey!
Who do you like? KCBS or FBA!!!

The FBA contests that I have gone to this past year made team products like sauces, rubs, tees, etc. exempt from the %age rule or pig buck crap. Only been to two KCBS contests so far and they were set up the same. I guess the food vending is mainly for the pig bucks. Doc Ray you have more experience than me for sure but this is what I have seen this past year.
See you at Largo?
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2005, 07:57 AM   #14
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

My point was that KCBS doesn't get involved in those sort of things. It's up to the organizers. KCBS sanctioned over 200 contests all around the country this year, and it'll be many more next year. It just wouldn't be feasible.

I am a founding member of the FBA but just don't have the time to participate these days.

Yes, I'll see you in Largo. That should be fun.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2005, 09:40 PM   #15
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Sales taxes?????

TIM

BTW- I know the answer.
Just curious about what other's do.