Help with Expanded metal

ggeilman

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Need help with cutting expanded metal. What can I cut it with? The sheet I got is 12"x24" about 2" too long for the Bandera and no I don't have a cutting torch. The package says "easy to cut"?

Gotta Circular saw? Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a metal cutting blade for it. Shouldn't be more than 5 bucks. It'll slice through it like butter.

Hacksaw will work but more time consuming.

Re: RE: Help with Expanded metal

rbinms33 said:
Gotta Circular saw? Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a metal cutting blade for it. Shouldn't be more than 5 bucks. It'll slice through it like butter.

Hacksaw will work but more time consuming.

Or a SawZawl.

RE: Re: RE: Help with Expanded metal

cold chisel and an anvil...easy as "kisss my hand."

Depending on the gauge you can even use tin snip or large electrician's pliers. Even with larger gauge you could use a Dremel or angle grinder with cutoff wheel.

I used some tin snips to cut mine. Worked pretty good.

Used snips on mine also but I wish I'd thought of circular saw with metal blade! The snips kinda bent up the edges of the expanded steel when I did mine... not a big problem. I just flattened it back out by squeezing it in the vise. But it was that extra step.

Dremel is what I had handy

A 4" angle grinder with a thin cut off wheel. O' by the way which ever method you use make sure to do yourself a favor and file off the SHARP edges Hint, hint

The Dremel worked great, thanks! Even cut the angle iron for support underneath.

The Dremel worked great, thanks! Even cut the angle iron for support underneath.
If you don't have lots of tools, a dremel and a tube of their cutoff wheels is a great thing to have around for doing mods. The sanding drums and grinding stones work wonders for the remaining sharp edges too!!

kcquer said:
If you don't have lots of tools, a dremel and a tube of their cutoff wheels is a great thing to have around for doing mods. The sanding drums and grinding stones work wonders for the remaining sharp edges too!!

They make a fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheel that's kind of expensive but outlasts the regular ones by about 50 times.

Kevin

I used a metal blade on my table saw. No sweat.
This is the cat's arse for metal cutting. Not everyone has a table saw but if you do this is a great way to cut expanded metal, sheet for baffles, flat or angle iron for supports, etc.
Just be sure to clean all the sawdust out from under the machine before cutting any metal as it will produce huge showers of sparks just right for lighting up any residual sawdust.
Safety glasses a must.

Kevin said:
kcquer said:

They make a fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheel that's kind of expensive but outlasts the regular ones by about 50 times.

Kevin

I have tools, but not a carbon blade for metal so the fiberglass wheels worked good. Went thru 2 of them though. I keep finding more uses for the Dremmel and use other tools a lot less often these days.

willkat98 said:
Mcockrell said:
jig saw with metal cutting blade?

Yep, went threw it like butter

WEAR GOGGLES

I can't stress the goggles point enough! When I did my trailer smoker I got a tiny piece of steel in my eye, waited 2 days before going to the eye doctor to get it out. By then it had formed a rust ring on my eye. after they got the metal out they had to GRIND the rust off the surface of my eye!

Aeynghus said:
Arlin_MacRae said:
I used a metal blade on my table saw. No sweat.

You have a table saw? When did you get that?

Had that for years. Delta. ;)

And yeah, huge showers of sparks, but no schmoak or burning sawdust. Eyes well protected!

Back