Rescued a 40+ year old grill/smoker? Looking for suggestions

Billy_Quizboy

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Story goes like this, my grandfather built this in.. who knows how long ago, he died before I was born. Out of what looks like some old pressure tanks or something, really thick steel. He was a pretty decent welder, and I'm sure this thing made some great food in it's time. Unfortunately it's been sitting in my grandmother's back yard for 30 years.

Now, I lugged this back to my house, yes, it was ridiculously heavy.
re1yR.jpg
Originally what it looked like.

I scrubbed the rust off and painted it with some high-temp paint
9b6bl.jpg

I haven't cooked on this yet, the grates are still in good shape though. I did light a fire inside it, and everything worked just fine. But I figured the first thing I grill on it I'd make sure it was plenty greasy to season the grate.

Now, it has a damper on top to regulate the amount of smoke escaping, and a door on the bottom to allow for easier cleanout/ let in air from the bottom.

Seems like a pretty good grill/smoker to me. I should buy a thermometer, but honestly I have no way of cutting into this beast to install one, so I'll probably look for another solution (digital probe with a wire?) Is there anything I'm missing, pretty new to Q.

Heavy Metal = good cooker!

A therm might be good, but for that particular cooker it may be good to just leave it like it is and just get the feel of it. But then again, I'm really lazy.

It looks to be in pretty nice condition considering its age. I think you'll be glad you rescued it.

anything made by a grandfather is worth saving!!!! I think it's really cool.....personally I wouldn't mod it, just fire it up and learn to cook on it like he did!!!!!!!

Agree. Leave it original as far as mods go. I would re-season it really well and give the outside a good coat or 2 of paint and that would be it. I'm sure gramps will be looking down over your shoulder and giving you guidance on how to operate it.

the great grand father to the modern day UDS. great find.

Anyone who loves bbq would be thrilled to have that rig. But being it was built right there in your own family, wow! What a great legacy from your grandfather! Enjoy it!! :thumb:

Last edited:
That sure is cool brotha enjoy that, ounce you figure out how to get great Q off it don't be shy will be here waiting :hungry:

This is great. I wish I had something like this from my grandfather. Great job on restoring it. Never part with it. Tell the story over and over to your kids and pass it on down.

Wow, that looks really heavy duty and with a great history as well. Thx for sharing.

That is bad arse! The stories it could tell!! Talk about heavy duty. I love it.

Bob

Back