MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
LittleDick'sBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default What IS it with me and meat markets??

Greetings,

I went to the supermarket today to buy a brisket that I'll schmoke Saturday. The first store offered a 5-pounder; a little small I thought. I told the meat-worker guy that I wanted to BBQ smoke it and he said, "Really? I've never heard of that before..." WTF?? Never heard of BBQ brisket? Dude...you sell MEAT!

Then I found another hunk o' brisket at another store. I settled on a 7.46-pounder. How is this size? It's wrapped in plastic and I'm planning on injecting it with the Simply Marvelous Kosmo's Beef Injection I got last week. I'd be happy to hear suggestions from Brethren. I'll be schmoking it on the Weber OTG, minion method. I have apple or hickory chunks to use. I also have a bunch of Simply Marvelous rubs to use.

Thanks for reading and any advice.
Little Dick

Char-Griller COS
Magma 15" kettle (for the boat)
LittleDick'sBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
cameraman
Babbling Farker

Is that a very small trimmed packer? The first offering was probably just the flat.
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Holy Smokies! They really nail you on the price. Out here, you can pick up a whole packer brisket for $1.99/lb. Of course we pay a fortune to live and gas costs are crazy.

So I assume you are cooking indirect at a low temp like 250, right? Injection is good and rub is to your liking. I would put a grease/water pan under it to help hold the temperature and I would spritz it with apple juice or something periodically. I don't foil but lots of folks do around IT of 165. A little beef broth in the foil helps.
Have fun and take notes so you can keep improving.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDick'sBBQ View Post
I'm planning on injecting it with the Simply Marvelous Kosmo's Beef Injection I got last week.
Maybe you bought the Kosmo's injection from Simply Marvelous, but Kosmo's is a separate company.

The label on that brisket is all over the place. Beef Chuck Fresh Brisket?

It does look like a very small packer, but it's hard to tell without seeing the other side. You may want to look around before you buy another. I sure hope $4.29/lb isn't typical around you.

The size is OK. I prefer packers between 12 and 15 lbs. They just do better in my cookers and I can get three or four meals out of it.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Holy Hannah! That's a little steep! Is it like that at all the markets around you, or is it just this place???
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

That does seem steep for a whole packer brisket. Seems like I normally pay $1.99 - $2.29 up here. But I have heard that beef prices are skyrocketing and have noticed it on a few items already.

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
LittleDick'sBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
Holy Smokies! They really nail you on the price. Out here, you can pick up a whole packer brisket for $1.99/lb. Of course we pay a fortune to live and gas costs are crazy.
I need to find me a place like that! Maybe I should try the warehouse store (BJ's, Sam's Club)?

Thanks,
Little Dick
Char-Griller COS

Old 12-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
LittleDick'sBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
The size is OK. I prefer packers between 12 and 15 lbs. They just do better in my cookers and I can get three or four meals out of it.
That's what I was looking for. I went to two places and finally settled on the brisket I bought. Fortunately it's just the "cherry on top" for the family Christmas party!

Little Dick
Char-Griller COS

Old 12-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #9
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Maybe you bought the Kosmo's injection from Simply Marvelous, but Kosmo's is a separate company.

The label on that brisket is all over the place. Beef Chuck Fresh Brisket?

It does look like a very small packer, but it's hard to tell without seeing the other side. You may want to look around before you buy another. I sure hope $4.29/lb isn't typical around you.

Hey Ron,

You get just three of four meals out of a 12-15 pounder???
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #10
stubshaft
Full Fledged Farker

Man I can't even buy it for that price on sale down here! Brisket runs around $7.29, even sides cost $4.99.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Its cute.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #12
Flavor Gangster
On the road to being a farker

I am going to pickup a case tomorrow from my Meat house in Chicago. I get Packer Market Price with a few pennies over and I tell you it is not cheap. $in the low 2's per LB for Market is High. Brisket AVG usually around 1.66 Market but lately its high.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Time to educate that butcher that didn't know you could smoke a brisket...

If you want to go all Texas on that brisket, don't use too sweet of a rub and no type of fruit juices at any point. A little beef broth, Worcester sauce and your favorite beer would be ok though. Let us know how it turns out.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #14
CTSmokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDick'sBBQ View Post
Greetings,

I went to the supermarket today to buy a brisket that I'll schmoke Saturday. The first store offered a 5-pounder; a little small I thought. I told the meat-worker guy that I wanted to BBQ smoke it and he said, "Really? I've never heard of that before..." WTF?? Never heard of BBQ brisket? Dude...you sell MEAT!

Then I found another hunk o' brisket at another store. I settled on a 7.46-pounder. How is this size? It's wrapped in plastic and I'm planning on injecting it with the Simply Marvelous Kosmo's Beef Injection I got last week. I'd be happy to hear suggestions from Brethren. I'll be schmoking it on the Weber OTG, minion method. I have apple or hickory chunks to use. I also have a bunch of Simply Marvelous rubs to use.

Thanks for reading and any advice.
Little Dick

Greetings Fellow Connecticuter,

Stop n Shop is not the place to buy a packer brisket...

Restaurant Depot or a local meat wholesaler is a better bet... a packer should be 16 to 18 lbs...

I live in Ridgefield and we have a tier 8 Stop n Shop...the most expensive because we are next to Westchester Co. , NY....no bargains to be found on brisket here and not the cut you need...

Your local IGA, Restaurant Depot or local meat wholesaler is a better bet...make a connection with the butcher and give him some Q and you will get the cut you need...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff
CharGriller Outlaw with Mods,2X WSM in Comp. Mode
Weber Kettle 22" Gold, Kirkland Signature SS Gas Grill
La Caja Asadora - Caja China - Cajun Microwave 1
"Primal Meat Smokers" BBQ Team
Purple Primal Smoker Turtle!
CTSmokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #15
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortaboy View Post
Hey Ron,

You get just three of four meals out of a 12-15 pounder???
Yeah, maybe 5 out of a 15 lber. With a typical 12 pound packer there is two to three pounds of fat between the fat cap and the hard fat in between the flat and point, plus any fat left in between. Then it loses weight when cooking, so a 12 lb packer probably yields about 6-7 lbs of usable meat.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote