MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Default Commercial Rubs And Color

OK first off let me start by saying that I have ZERO intentions of trying to figure out any rub makers secret formula Brethren or otherwise. Ok? Good.

Secondly, I also am very aware that color and flavor have nothing to do with each other, so I will not be needing anyone to inform me of this and that I should just not worry about it. Lets please keep this to discussion of rub color, and not whether it matters.

I have noticed that many commercial rubs have a color that is much brighter and deeper than any rub concotion that I have made at home. Two examples are Yardbird, and Lotta Bull Red Dirt. They have a bright orangeish redness to them that looks really great. Neither of the labels on these say anything about artificial coloring, which I believe would be required by law to list if it was there, so that rules that out.

I know without a doubt that many of the rubs that I have made at home have similar amounts of everything that might be responsible for the color (paprika, chiles, etc) yet its not even close.

So this is my question. Do you think its a simple matter of the rub makers having access to much fresher ingredients, or maybe it has something to do with the mixing process?

This perplexes me.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Tumeric and plenty of paprika. If you want a really funky red/orange color add some anchote paste.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Freshness can have something to do with it but spices that are typically labeled under "spices" can add some big colors. For example, turmeric will give you a bright yellow/orange color. Think beyond chiles.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Turmeric......Now why the heck didn't I think of that!

Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
landarc

I think many co-packers have access to ingredients and formulations of ingredients that vary from what most of us use at home as well. I am curious why you ask, do you think the color of the rub changes the color of the finished product?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I think many co-packers have access to ingredients and formulations of ingredients that vary from what most of us use at home as well. I am curious why you ask, do you think the color of the rub changes the color of the finished product?
I think it just might. I know that when I cook ribs with Yardbird right next to my own rub, the Plowboys slab will be noticably redder, but not in an unnatural way. I prefer the taste of my own, but in KCBS they seem to love that bright color.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
AZScott
Take a breath!

Paprika oil

Old 11-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScott View Post
Paprika oil
Ya know that makes so much sense because if you look closely at these rubs, it looks like the individual grains are all the same basic color.

But wouldn't oil shorten the shelf life? I use it in tiny amounts sometimes when I want to keep rubs with different grain size from separating. I've never kept it for long though.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
landarc

To be honest, I use Ryan Chesters rubs, and for the most part, I can recreate the look pretty closely in terms of color. There is no magic. I have to say, that whatever Steph does to his rubs, the Simply Marvelous rubs handle and cook like something I can't recreate. But, I suspect it is more about spices than any coloring.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
To be honest, I use Ryan Chesters rubs, and for the most part, I can recreate the look pretty closely in terms of color. There is no magic. I have to say, that whatever Steph does to his rubs, the Simply Marvelous rubs handle and cook like something I can't recreate. But, I suspect it is more about spices than any coloring.