BBQ Brethren "Independence Day" Throwdown!

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Our new category is...

[size=+2]"Independence Day!"[/size]
1278047685_706x512_eagle-picture.gif

...as chosen by ecode, the winner of the Love/Hate Throwdown!

Now, not all Brethren observe Independence day this time of year, or perhaps at all. However, even so, you could still participate and declare your independence from SOMETHING!

This contest will also run into next weekend. To me this is fine, because it took some time for the Declaration of Independence to be fully signed, and for it to be delivered (they didn't have the Twitter thing back then).

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 7/1 through Sunday 7/10.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 7/10.

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Monday 7/11 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Saturday 7/16. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the St. Loo-ee Style Throwdown until MONDAY night 7/4 (Happy 4th everyone!) by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Summertime Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

This Independence Day, I am up north in Atlantic Canada. It so happens that Canada Day is July 1 and we were able to enjoy the festivities here. We spent part of the day in Dartmouth listening to the bands at Alderney Landing in Dartmouth.

IMG_2200.jpg

It was a beautiful day to be out and about. :icon_blush:

IMG_2202.jpg

They were selling what appeared to be steamed fries, but decided not to give them a try.

IMG_2203.jpg

Some people really got into the holiday, eh?

IMG_2204.jpg

That's Halifax a short ferry ride across the harbor.

IMG_2205.jpg

We went back in the evening to catch the fireworks. It was very crowded by then.

IMG_2215.jpg

The next day we crossed the bridge into Halifax.

IMG_2218.jpg

And visited the Mi'kmaq Pow wow. It was great enjoyment.

IMG_2228.jpg

On Sunday, we went to Cow Bay and froze our butts. This narrow inlet has toasty warm water. The water was up to 64*. It was also cold, foggy, and windy. I huddled under blankets.

IMG_2233.jpg

Finally, feasted on true Independence-Day cuisine.

IMG_2237.jpg

I made mine as All-American as you can get, well, except for the Baba Ganoush.

IMG_2238.jpg

Sometimes, nothing beats a classic burger.

Happy 4th of July everyone!

My wife picked up some beer that to me screamed making Bratwurst with...

r_IMG_0508.jpg

r_IMG_0509.jpg

So I cut up an onion and put it in a pan with a stick of butter and some Bratwurst.

r_IMG_0510.jpg

Then I filled the pan with the beer.

r_IMG_0511.jpg

I set my 22" kettle up to cook indirect with a chimney full of Best of the West Mesquite lump charcoal.

r_IMG_0529.jpg

I set the pan of stuff on indirect...

r_IMG_0530.jpg

...and put the lid on to see what would happen.

r_IMG_0531.jpg

When I opened the lid I was greeted with this...

r_IMG_0534.jpg

So I took the Brats out of the pan to grill for a bit and set the pan over direct heat to reduce the liquid.

r_IMG_0537.jpg

Here they are after cooking for a bit

r_IMG_0539.jpg

...then after a flip...

r_IMG_0540.jpg

This is when I was finally happy with the Brats and the liquid...

r_IMG_0544.jpg

I put these back in the now reduced liquid to get reacquainted and exchange flavors while I got ready to serve up tonight's dinner. It's Independence Day here of course, so we have the appropriate plates...

r_IMG_0546.jpg

Take a Brat Bun...

r_IMG_0548.jpg

...and you put a Brat in it.

r_IMG_0549.jpg

Get some of the onions out of the beer bath and put those on too...

r_IMG_0552.jpg

Then apply a good mustard...

r_IMG_0553.jpg

In my house, you have to have sauerkraut. If you don't, well, you're not at my house I guess.

r_IMG_0556.jpg

For sides I chose some Slaw made using Big Butz Carolina Magic (as detailed here), some BBQ Beans I made using leftover brisket, pulled pork and smoked sausage, and some store bought potato salad that someone bought (not sure who).

r_IMG_0557.jpg

It was farking awesome!:thumb: I'd say that beer does nice things to Brats.:cool: And that Carolina Magic Slaw was truly great!:thumb:

r_IMG_0561.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! You know when I saw that earlier, I thought to myself, "Is he going to do it?" and there it is! That is a thing of beauty. The only thing is that I see that you didn't designate a TD pic. You have to be a bit careful. If Chris is sniffing the tofu, he might just select this one from your other post:

r_IMG_0521.jpg

MOINK 4th

I trust that everyone had a super weekend, especially those who had the three day kind.
I just happened to have a camera and some charcoal and some food stuffs yesterday so it was a MOINK 4th.

Here we have 'meatloaf' mix of pork, veal & beef along with some Panko, horseradish, wooster sauce, home made sweet & sour sauce and Tango Spice Hot 2 Trot blend.
DSC03778.jpg

They rolled up real nice!
DSC03779.jpg

The charcoal which was on sale this weekend works darn well at half price!
DSC03783.jpg

Topped off with some balsamic BBQ sauce! Yeah Man, These Were Great!
DSC03790.jpg

For Independence day here, I had a small bone-in butt, some bacon-wrapped pineapple, some pig candy with apricot preserve glaze, and some beans.....oh....the beans.

Started as a large can of Bush's original, but doctored with mustard, a chopped onion, some SBR, and some chopped bacon. Cooked on the UDS in a cast iron skillet that's been in my family for well over 100 years. It was a wedding gift 8 years ago from my grandfather, who had received it as a wedding gift from his grandmother long ago. It was one of the few possessions she brought when she immigrated from Sweden in 1904. We are not sure of its history before that. But I sure enjoy everything I cook on it.

It was a great 4th!

Attachments

• IMG_5447.jpg
    IMG_5447.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 136
Independence Day here means pulled pork baby! Got two butts here, didn't get any pre-cook or on the smoker shots cuz it was, well, pretty farkin' hot.

twobeauts.jpg

And Pulled...

juicy-1.jpg

My own recipe home made slaw...

slaw.jpg

Building a sammich with BigButz Carolina Magic mustard sauce...

saucing.jpg

And some more after the slaw...

sauced1.jpg

Redhot's sammich...

redhotsserved.jpg

My finished sammich...the money shot.

deguerres-1.jpg

Note...I also used the BigButz Pig Pollen on the butt for the sammiches and it was simply OUTSTANDING. I'm gonna order if it ever becomes available. It's righteous stuff as is the Carolina Magic.

Last edited:
Back