MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 05-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard
Default SPECIAL - BBQ Brethren "Noobians vs. Veterans, Season 2" Throwdown!!! (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

***NOTE: This TD has been extended an additional day due to the US Labor Day Holiday***

Well the voters decided! Instead of "Cook it Like Moose", the overwhelming choice was a second round of Noobs vs Vets!

Last year's Noobs vs Vets was enormously popular, with 135 entries!

Here's Last Year's Noobs vs Vets Voting Thread

Will this year's Noob Crew vindicate themselves with an all new crew and better strategy, or will they once again be taken down by the dashing crew of the mighty S.S. Farkanaut?

Only time will tell!

So here's the scoop:

1. This is an OPEN CATEGORY, Standard Throwdown Rules apply, and anyone who has participated in 2 or fewer TD's prior to 5/31/2013 will be on the Noobian team, while everyone with 3 or more TD's prior to 5/31/2013 will be on the Veteran team!

2. MULTIPLE ENTRIES ARE ALLOWED for this TD only! Please enter often!

3. Since this is an open category, you may enter whatever you like so long as the main dish or ingredient is either smoked or grilled as per standard throwdown rules.

4. This Throwdown will last through September 2!

5. You can submit entries from other throwdowns that run during the course of this one!

6. Voting will be decided thusly:

All Noobians and currently enlisted and veteran Farkanauts who choose to participate will each submit entries of their choosing. The winning group will be decided by a tally of most votes, i.e. if the Noobians have the most collective votes, the Noobians win.

7. Please specify at the top of each entry whether it is for the Noobian or Veteran Team.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 5/31 through Monday 9/2.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Tuesday morning 9/3.

Please specify at the top of each entry whether it is for the Noobian or Veteran Team.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...especially take note of:

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary actions WILL happen.

Click HERE to go to the off topic, often nonsensical discussion thread.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited by Moose; 09-03-2013 at 09:43 AM..
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
deguerre

So, this one is not open all Summer? The Equinox is not until the 22nd.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

By summer I meant by calendar. 3 months is a long time, and actually, the longest TD we've ever had!
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
deguerre

Ah. Gotcha. Excellent reasoning.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Aye was feeling a we bit of a hunger pang gnawing at me gut after a full day of pillaging with me mate Guerre, so aye whipped up some grub to soothe me innards.

Please accept this as me official entry into the "Noobians VS Veterans Season II" Throwdown

Aye went to the galley and found slim pickens (no, not the actor) and found myself in a pickle (no, not with Ronelle) what to do, what to do? Aye hemmed and hawed and surveyed the provisions and finally came up with a plan.

Cheese Steak..... alas my conundrum is resolved! Aye got busy with me epee and hacked up some onions and started them to caramelizing on me gasser.

Next up, Aye threw on some cleaved, "aye of the round" and Worcestershire sauce.

Let her ride the flames a wee bit

Diced it all up fine and dandy

Wrapped it all up in some Merkin Cheese

Smothered it in a "Toasted" (No not the famous Throwdown Chef of lore) French Baguette and plated it with a cold scoop of Wampus's Peach Bourbon Beans.

That's what Aye'm talking about there me buccos! Please use this as my polling shot, Aye thank you!

Get Busy noobs, Aye Caseydog dare ya!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Please accept this as my first ever Throwdown entry into the Noobs vs. Vets Throwdown.

Thick cut T-bone steak cooked just the way I like it. Served with skillet fried corn and asparagus and Busch's Original beans with a splash of Tennessee Red. This was my quick dinner tonight before the storms started to roll through the Lou.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Way to start the show off with a bang boys.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Way to be FB5 Keep em coming Aye like your style! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #9
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
Please accept this as my first ever Throwdown entry into the Noobs vs. Vets Throwdown.

Thick cut T-bone steak cooked just the way I like it. Served with skillet fried corn and asparagus and Busch's Original beans with a splash of Tennessee Red. This was my quick dinner tonight before the storms started to roll through the Lou.
Just to clarify, as if saying this is my first ever TD entry isn't enough, my entry is for Team NOOB.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Hometruckin - Noob or Farkenaut entry?

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Aye be a Ensign on the SS Farkenaughty! Arrrrrrrrrrgh!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #12
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Tie game. The noobs are rather feisty right out of the gate but HT fired the first volley! Both Great entries!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #13
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Tie game. The noobs are rather feisty right out of the gate but HT fired the first volley! Both Great entries!
Aye fired the first volley right over their Mizenmast arrrrrrrrrgh!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
"Sparky"
On the road to being a farker

Please accept this as my official entry for team noobian(I think).I'm not sure if I have entered more than 2 throwdowns as it has been a long time.Please check for me if possible,thanks.

My first entry is just simple,yet tasty BBQ chicken breasts. First,I set-up my XL BGE raised/direct at 350*.The breasts were rubbed with Cluck & Squeal All Purpose rub and put on the egg with some corn on the cob.

Just when they reached 160-165 internal temp,I put a little Stubb's BBQ sauce on them and let them go for around 10 more minutes

Here they are off the egg and ready to eat

Please use this last photo for my entry,thanks

"Sparky" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Fantastic bird Sparky!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->