MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #7156
consecrow
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default you tube videos of my uds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjUAB5xGEKc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXHRcAOajUQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3XrLdz4qfg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM-hSpJFgwE
consecrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #7157
snorulz

Finished my first UDS. Here are a couple pictures. I started a thread that has more info and pictures in it.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #7158
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clydesdale View Post
My new drum came with a nice gasket in the lid. Can I leave this in place or will it melt?
Take it out.
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #7159
abigphish

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorulz View Post
Finished my first UDS. Here are a couple pictures. I started a thread that has more info and pictures in it.
Looks very cool, I like it
j
abigphish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #7160
barkerw
Got rid of the matchlight.

I'm gonna finish my UDS this saturday and i wanted to make dinner on sunday with it. We have a Pork Shoulder Roast in the freezer i thought i'd use. Now i like to build things but honestly I don't know much about cooking a roast. I had some questions.

Can anyone tell me what temp to maintain and for roughly how long on this?

What should the internal temp read when its done?

Should i do some kind of rub on it saturday or earlier or whats a good way to prepare this?

Is this type of meat going to give me pulled pork or do we just slice it and eat it?

Can this be my seasoning smoke or do i have to do a dry run first with it?

Please help a newb out
barkerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #7161
Diamond State Smoker
Knows what a fatty is.

i've been trying to locate one of those bottle openers. nice mod.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #7162
chip32

OK, I'm doing my first burn right now in my just completed UDS. I hope to cook in it tomorrow for the first time. Any tips?
chip32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #7163
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yeah chip, have a great time and let us know how it works out. The best tip is be PATIENT!!!! The drum takes time to catch up with adjustments so give any adjustment 20 minutes or so to settle in. Have fun bro.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #7164
Unfathomable Bastid
Full Fledged Farker

Default Charcoal lighting strategy?

Hello brethren!

Finished the UDS yesterday. Decided to name her "Black Magic." The wife seriously thinks I'm insane now.

On to my question. Getting the baby lit. I've seen a few different strategies. Assuming I'll need a 7-10 hour burn at 225 degrees, whats the best way to get it started, using how much charcoal (and wood chunks)? Has anyone created a basic guide?

I'm planning my first burn with 5lbs of charcoal and a few wood chunks, but I can't imagine I light an entire charcoal chimney to start it.

Thoughts?

-Bastid
Unfathomable Bastid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #7165
chip32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfathomable Bastid View Post
Hello brethren!

Finished the UDS yesterday. Decided to name her "Black Magic." The wife seriously thinks I'm insane now.

On to my question. Getting the baby lit. I've seen a few different strategies. Assuming I'll need a 7-10 hour burn at 225 degrees, whats the best way to get it started, using how much charcoal (and wood chunks)? Has anyone created a basic guide?

I'm planning my first burn with 5lbs of charcoal and a few wood chunks, but I can't imagine I light an entire charcoal chimney to start it.

Thoughts?

-Bastid
Hey Bastid, here is the advice I got in my Cattle Call thread and it's what I'm going to try later this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
Hey Chip,
Welcome from another Wisconsinite.
Most folk with a UDS use the Minion Method to light their charcoal. Fill your basket with charcoal nearly to the top, and add about 1/2 to a full chimney of lit charcoal on top. Catch your temps on the way up (20 to 30 degrees shy of your target) and close down some of your intakes. I'm a WSM guy, and don't have a UDS, but they operate on the same concept.

Welcome to the best clubhouse on the web!
Formula One race is over and now it's time to start cooking for the football games.

Cheers.
chip32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2010, 10:29 AM   #7166
Unfathomable Bastid
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip32 View Post
Hey Bastid, here is the advice I got in my Cattle Call thread and it's what I'm going to try later this morning.

Formula One race is over and now it's time to start cooking for the football games.

Cheers.
Thanks Chip!

Yeah, that was the method I went with, but am still unsure on how MUCH charcoal to have in the basket to support that long of a burn. My fire basket is very large (18" in diameter) and also deep (about 15" in height), so filling my basket "nearly to the top" would be close to 20 lbs of charcoal! Probably not very reasonable for a 7-10 hour burn.

I got "Black Magic" humming along at 225 for the last 90 minutes on 4-5 lbs of charcoal. We'll see how long it will hold that temp.

-Bastid

Last edited by Unfathomable Bastid; 11-14-2010 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: Forgot to sign it!

Old 11-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #7167
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

I start with about 12-15 lit coals. Too many lit coals will set it up too hot. I would say 10 lbs will handle up to 12-15 hours or so if the temperature stays put. High temps= faster fuel consumption. Once you're cooking, leave the lid ON! Opening the lid allows an inrush of oxygen, which will cause a temperature spike. Too much coal in the basket is better than too little. What doesn't get burned can be used the next time. When you're done cooking, close all of the vents, including the exhaust, and the coals will go out. Next time, knock the loose ash off of the remaining coals, and add enough new fuel for the cook. I've run mine for 13 hours, and still had charcoal left. My basket is 16" in diameter, and 8" high. I've never filled it to the top.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #7168
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Bastid, I would agree with MushCreek. Maybe 8 - 10 lbs of charcoal and only a 12-15 lit placed in the middle of the unlit. Make SURE you catch the temps short on the way up like Harbormaster mentioned. Also, if you leave the lid off for any length of time, you will have a major temp spike that may take hours to get back down. Good luck bro and keep us posted!!

Edit: Bastid, I actually start my drums 55-60 minutes early to make sure the temps are stable. 200 degrees on the side thermometer should be around 225-235 at the center of the grate.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #7169
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkerw View Post
I'm gonna finish my UDS this saturday and i wanted to make dinner on sunday with it. We have a Pork Shoulder Roast in the freezer i thought i'd use. Now i like to build things but honestly I don't know much about cooking a roast. I had some questions.

Can anyone tell me what temp to maintain and for roughly how long on this?

What should the internal temp read when its done?

Should i do some kind of rub on it saturday or earlier or whats a good way to prepare this?

Is this type of meat going to give me pulled pork or do we just slice it and eat it?

Can this be my seasoning smoke or do i have to do a dry run first with it?

Please help a newb out
Comin' in a bit late here, but I wholeheartedly recommend Chris Lilly's recipe, smoked over apple wood. INCREDIBLE. Search the forum for his name and you'll find it.
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #7170
Unfathomable Bastid
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Burner View Post
Bastid, I would agree with MushCreek. Maybe 8 - 10 lbs of charcoal and only a 12-15 lit placed in the middle of the unlit. Make SURE you catch the temps short on the way up like Harbormaster mentioned. Also, if you leave the lid off for any length of time, you will have a major temp spike that may take hours to get back down. Good luck bro and keep us posted!!

Edit: Bastid, I actually start my drums 55-60 minutes early to make sure the temps are stable. 200 degrees on the side thermometer should be around 225-235 at the center of the grate.
Thanks Meat Burner/Mush Creek,

Just got back from an afternoon at the mall. When I left at noon I was steady at 225. When I came back at 4:00pm, it was down to 150 - having burned through the charcoal pretty significantly.

Lesson learned? I didn't put nearly enough charcoal in my basket. I probably under-bid by at least half. And it occurs to me that it really shouldn't matter how much charcoal is in the basket. So long as the oxygen flow is maintained appropriately, I should be able to steer it to 225 degrees regardless of how much fuel is in there.

Burning the rest of it off now so that I can start fresh again for another test. Gotta have this down since I'm having 30 idiots over for Thanksgiving and I want to have at least a LITTLE confidence. Btw - anyone have a good smoked turkey recipe?

-Bastid

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker