MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Professor Q
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Injecting Pork Butt 4 hour rule help.

I have a question about injecting a butt. I have always injected it and let it rest for about 12 hours in fridge or cooler. Today I read something about a 4 hour rule. As I understand it, the rule states that once the muscle is punctured by the injector it should be at or above 140 degrees within 4 hours to prevent bacteria growth. Is keeping it in the refrigerator for 12 hours dangerous? Thanks for the help
Professor Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I think that should be at or BELOW 140 degrees if anything. If your injection liquid is cold and you go right back into the fridge, then I don't think you'll have any problems with 12 hours. Many competition cooks get there meat inspected as soon as they arrive at a contest and immediately inject their butts so that they can marinate for as long as possible before cooking.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
SITM BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I have only read that once meat is introduced to heat that it needs to be to 140 in four hours. So if once its on the pit just make sure your temp stays up. If you let your fire go out and come back at hour four and your IT is 120, you may be growing bacteria. Just use cold injection, below 40 degrees and go right back in fridge with butt and you should be ok for 12 hours.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Refrigeration below 40° Inhibits bacterial growth...

I commonly inject with a cold brine mixture below 40° into cold meat below 40° and hold them overnight......
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
jketron
Full Fledged Farker

The wind I hear is that you need to sterile your needle first, that meat is any more sanitary that your injection...all things being equal. Make sure the needle is clean both in a out. I've heard it leaves marks in the meat. You are already going to cook it above the bacteria temp limits
Backwoods Party G2, WSM 18/22
Grill of His Dreams #1 Rule of BBQ... Have fun :razz:
jketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Mel
Knows what a fatty is.

this old " WIFE'S TAIL' again must be the work of P E T A as it's been said before the USDA has no rules about this.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Fornia
Full Fledged Farker

No, but they certainly do have guidelines. This isn't the same thing as proper internal temp for pork chops....which always seems to be up for discussion.

Pretty certain, properly cooled pork, with properly cooled (non-heated) injection....and you'll be fine.

PsychedelicSmokeBBQ.com Berks County, PA

Follow us on Twitter @PsychSmokeBBQ
'Like' us on Facebook!
Fornia is offline   Reply With Quote