MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #616
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Chit happens Brother

Waiting to hear you're open so we can head your way

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #617
castlepines
is One Chatty Farker

Is it funny yet?? It's not all funny yet, is it??!! Hand in there! When the laughs of customers fill the walls and greenbacks fill the wallet, this will all be a distant memory!
castlepines is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #618
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Learned another lesson the hard way today. Don't try to drain the grease from the pit when you're busy and might get called away. Now I'm stuck cleaning up a huge overflow spill that's covering the entire back concrete slab. Oops.
It won't be the last time either. Don't walk away from a pot on the stove either. Don't ask how I know. Timers lots and lots of timers!

You be open tomorrow though, wont you?

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #619
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post

You be open tomorrow though, wont you?
Nope. It's the weekend, like government employees are going to work.

We have actually escalated this to the highest possible level. Now the county commissioners are involved, attorneys are involved, and my wife's boss even got our state senator to return some calls. Nothing going to stop this from happening ASAP if I have anything to say about it.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #620
Diesel Dave

Now that's the way to do it Brother, call in the BIG guns

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe

Old 12-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #621
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Nope. It's the weekend, like government employees are going to work.

We have actually escalated this to the highest possible level. Now the county commissioners are involved, attorneys are involved, and my wife's boss even got our state senator to return some calls. Nothing going to stop this from happening ASAP if I have anything to say about it.
Atta boy!!! You pay all of their salaries and DONT let them forget it!!!!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #622
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

You would think that they would be helping you get open. The sooner you open the sooner you start generating revenue. I think they forget that what we do generates money to pay their salary. I think they all need to be reminded of that more often.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #623
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
You would think that they would be helping you get open. The sooner you open the sooner you start generating revenue. I think they forget that what we do generates money to pay their salary. I think they all need to be reminded of that more often.
Yeah, that's the thing. When I finally got the township supervisor involved, he said he would use whatever political power he could to get things going because he wanted to see us open and making money in the community. But then he hit the same roadblock I did with this idiotic technicality between the mechanical and health inspectors and said there was nothing he could do to bypass that.

Oh well. It is what it is and like all the other problems I've encountered, I'll just have to roll with it. I mean I could get pissed off about it, but that won't solve anything, and yelling at the people who need to make this happen won't help or could make things worse, so I'm just trying to do what they say needs to be done and have it done as quickly as possible.

Otherwise, today was awesome given the response. If you count just the phone calls and walk-ins, we would have served at least 100 people. Sure, I would have loved to see that money in the cash register, but oh well. I did hand out some samples, menus, and a 10% off coupon for when they come back, and everyone seemed thrilled. And spent a lot of time just sitting down and talking with everyone who are so excited and love the food.

The community support is unbelievable. Everybody in the county, and even beyond, are talking about the place and so excited. So, I have no doubt that if I can maintain a quality produce and good service, we'll have no problem getting people in the door. So, it's just deep breaths and remaining calm while I navigate this last legal hurdle.

To be honest, I'm glad I'm taking this weekend off. I need sleep more than I ever have before.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #624
Diesel Dave

Rest up Brother, you deserve it and things will fall into place when they're meant to.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #625
peeps

For sure, get in that rest. Might be the last one for a long while.

What is YOUR schedule going to be like? Are you closed any day of the week like Monday/Tuesday or are you gonna take Monday/Tuesday off and let someone you trust handle things that day? I know that may be a while off until you get things running smoothly, but remember to take care of yourself, eventually.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #626
Diesel Dave

^^^^ That right there is some real good advise

Old 12-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #627
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Kill 'em with kindness. Undoubtedly, this isn't the last time you will need to deal with them.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #628
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Wifey just put the pickles in the fridge. Smells great already, but we will wait a couple days to try them. Thanks again for the recipe

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #629
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

I've followed this thread and follow your FB page. I would strongly recommend that you NOT post any of your negative feelings on the FB page. Vent those frustrations here in this thread and we'll all encourage you and share in your frustration. But DON'T let your potential customers see the negative stuff. You already had one woman start fussing at you for calling out the inspectors... don't let any more negative stuff get posted at this early point.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #630
Bperkins01
Full Fledged Farker

I also made your pickle recipe this evening. Made in support of you opening ASAP!
Thanks for all the effort!
Bperkins01 is offline   Reply With Quote