Chicken, Tri Tip, & Rib Feast: Major Pr0n!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
A dear friend of ours has been extolling the virtues of our cooking to her brother now for a few years. He lives back East, and is a BBQ newbie with a gas grill, but is anxious to learn more as well as experimenting with new techniques. He just happened to be in town this weekend, so my friend asked if we would cook him up something special and perhaps share some tips along the way, and I was more than happy to oblige. I thought it would be helpful to show him more than one kind of cooking method, so I thought Tri-Tip, Chicken, and smoked ribs would do the trick.

I started prepping the meats in the morning so they could soak up their respective seasonings and marinades.

First, I started with 1.5 racks of BB ribs, which I seasoned with Moose Rib Rub #2:

DSC_0240.jpg

Immediately after that, I began prep on a USDA prime Tri-Tip:

DSC_0234.jpg

DSC_0233.jpg

This was one gorgeous piece of beef! I seasoned it with liberally with Rub Co Original, and seasoned pepper, which I find really compliments Tri-Tip.

DSC_0236.jpg

Finally, the chicken. We get whole young chickens at a nearby ethnic market that are just amazing. They are small, so they don’t have a ton of fat, and the sweet taste of the meat can’t be beat:

DSC_0239.jpg

After I cut the chicken into pieces, I decided to create a new marinade for the chicken, consisting of olive oil, salt, pepper, lots of garlic, lemon juice, smoked paprika, and fresh chopped rosemary and thyme from the garden:

DSC_0237.jpg

After I added all the ingredients to a bowl:

DSC_0238.jpg

I whisked all the ingredients together, then dipped each piece of chicken into the marinade, then added it to a plastic bag. After each piece was fully coated with the marinade, I poured the remaining marinade over the chicken, sealed the bag up, and put it in the fridge along with the Tri-Tip and ribs.

As late afternoon approached, I fired up the WSM with some cherry and pecan chunks, and added the ribs:

DSC_0243.jpg

The ribs after cooking for 2 hours at 275:

DSC_0244.jpg

An hour later, I fired up both my UDS and Kingsford Oval so I could get started on the chicken and Tri-Tip.

I cooked the Tri-Tip indirect to start on the Oval, with a few pieces of oak:

DSC_0246.jpg

After the Tri-Tip went on, I put the chicken on the UDS when the temp of the drum reached 300.

At this point, between juggling three fire based cooking contraptions accompanied by a few adult beverages along the way, I wasn’t able to get as many pictures as I would have liked. But here’s the chicken about halfway done:

DSC_0253.jpg

Tri-Tip flipped after about 20 mins:

DSC_0250.jpg

Ribs just after a light glazing with sauce:

DSC_0258.jpg

And finally, the Tri-Tip while it was getting a good hot sear before I pulled it:

DSC_0256.jpg

After we let all the meat rest, we cut the Tri-Tip:

DSC_0266.jpg

Then cut the ribs, and put the ribs alongside the chicken:

DSC_0259.jpg

Close up of ribs:

DSC_0261.jpg

Everything turned out great, especially the chicken which was just off the hook flavor-fully good. I plan to use this chicken marinade again as soon as possible! The ribs were moist and savory, and the Tri-Tip was literally fork tender. Our friend’s brother wound up talking himself into buying a WSM AND a OTG to complement his gas grill with a little nudging from me. It seems like this was the first time he had grilled and smoked food like this before, and it really was fun sharing tips with him, as well as encouraging him to join the BBQ Brethren.

Thanks for checking out my chicken, tri-tip, & rib feast!

Id take that class anyday... just to eat the food at the end. Tending 3 fires would require alot of beer.

Moose, that is great cooking and good of you to help a fellow out! The chicken marinade sounds like a winner, I may have to give it a whirl.....

Id take that class anyday... just to eat the food at the end. Tending 3 fires would require alot of beer.

Yes, there was quite a bit of beer involved in tending those three fires. :thumb:

You always knock it out of the park Moose! I've never had a prime tri-tip but i can imagine it was wonderful.:thumb:

Back