MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Default Thoughts? A mustard based BBQ sauce on ribs?

I have two filet mignons going on the grill later and I thought why not smoke a rack of BB ribs too?

My baby backs are rubbed and just waiting for my two year old to take a nap and then they'll be on the smoker.

I'm in a little bit of a BBQ sauce rut and I wanted to try something different.

Has anyone ever tried a mustard based BBQ sauce on ribs? If so, please share the recipe and let me know if it works. If you think mustard sucks please point me to the direction of a relatively simple BBQ sauce recipe (i've done Steve Raichlen's books to death - looking for something a bit different). Worse case I'll do my standard BBQ sauce recipe.

THANKS!

John

Old 05-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Thy this one, you could add some butter at the end to thicken it up, or just simmer it a bit longer till it reaches desired thickness. Some folks run it through the blender for a minute or two when done to smooth it out a bit.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=107356

It's really good on pulled pork, I'm sure it'd be nice on ribs too. I add a bit of bourbon and apple juice when I make it.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Toscadero
Knows what a fatty is.

I've got a go to sauce that I love on pulled pork. My wife and daughters put it on a lot of other things. Easy to make. I've tried it on ribs once and they came out pretty good. Here is the link http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/B...BBQ_sauce.html
Toscadero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Chubby Tuna
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Cooked an extra rack yesterday to try a new mustard - vinager recipe. I used this one http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuesauc...r/blb00114.htm.

Tasted great. The rookie rib eaters were split on the regular sauce (KC + Honey) and the new sauce. Would b egreat on pulled pork.
Chubby Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

In the Charleston area of SC, that's how ribs are generally done. I'm sure you will do a much better job than they do around here. Most of what I find are just baked ribs with no seasoning that are DRENCHED in mustard sauce for serving. They really have no technique around here.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
In the Charleston area of SC, that's how ribs are generally done. I'm sure you will do a much better job than they do around here. Most of what I find are just baked ribs with no seasoning that are DRENCHED in mustard sauce for serving. They really have no technique around here.
If one were to use my latest batch of mustard sauce liberally, they'd be on the warm side for at least 30 minutes. It's got some extra kick via chile tepins. Not to be taken lightly in the heat dept.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
Thy this one, you could add some butter at the end to thicken it up, or just simmer it a bit longer till it reaches desired thickness. Some folks run it through the blender for a minute or two when done to smooth it out a bit.

It's really good on pulled pork, I'm sure it'd be nice on ribs too. I add a bit of bourbon and apple juice when I make it.
Thanks guys! I went with this recipe. I followed it exactly but added a couple tablespoons of butter afterwards and then put it in a food processor. I'll tell ya - it was really good. Wouldn't be my first choice for ribs but it was different and real good; which is exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

Last edited by grilling24x7; 01-21-2012 at 10:55 AM..
grilling24x7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
cliffcarter
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post

This is roxy's sauce, infernoo did a review in his monster sauce review thread-
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...nfernoo&page=7
cliffcarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby back, BBQ Sauce, mustard, ribs