MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:29 PM   #16
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

I would go with Enameled Cast Iron. They are perfect for induction tops. I love how induction gives me precise control. Perfect simmer. I can literally set it to 140F and let it go overnight.
EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 11:45 PM   #17
AJREALBBQ
Found some matches.

I really like that they can cook on all types, including induction, but chili cook offs are going to be over gas exclusively. Size is what I am struggling with on the cast iron enamel at this point.
AJREALBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 11:51 PM   #18
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJREALBBQ View Post
I really like that they can cook on all types, including induction, but chili cook offs are going to be over gas exclusively. Size is what I am struggling with on the cast iron enamel at this point.
I know i should, but i haven't done a Chili cook off yet. But can you tell me why they are exclusively gas only? Do they not have electric at most cook offs, or do they only allow gas?

Old 07-17-2018, 11:56 PM   #19
AJREALBBQ
Found some matches.

let me make a correction...almost all are gas since chili cook offs are usually very short, outdoor, and hookups are not usually provided or necessary. At BBQ competitions most stay on site in tents or campers, but electric is normally just used for lighting, etc.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:01 AM   #20
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
let me make a correction...almost all are gas since chili cook offs are usually very short, outdoor, and hookups are not usually provided or necessary. At BBQ competitions most stay on site in tents or campers, but electric is normally just used for lighting, etc.
Being short is a benifit with induction. I can reach a rolling boil in my 8 QT SS induction pot in less then 5 min. It takes my gas stove 2x the amount of time with the same pot.

Just pointing out i see no disadvantage to induction for a Chili Cook-Off unless they flat out don't allow it.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:06 AM   #21
AJREALBBQ
Found some matches.

I don't disagree at all with what you are saying. Competitions I have attended in the past have rarely had electricity to be able to use induction.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:09 AM   #22
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I don't disagree at all with what you are saying. Competitions I have attended in the past have rarely had electricity to be able to use induction.
I hear ya. Do they allow Generators?

Old 07-18-2018, 12:12 AM   #23
AJREALBBQ
Found some matches.

As far as I know, as long as the noise and potential fumes, if any, dont bother others. Kind of like NASCAR....yes I am from the south!

Old 07-18-2018, 12:13 AM   #24
AJREALBBQ
Found some matches.

I am trying to figure out the best size universal pot that I can use as an effective pot in a chili contest. All that I am considering can use electric, gas or induction as a heat source

Old 07-18-2018, 12:18 AM   #25
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
As far as I know, as long as the noise and potential fumes, if any, dont bother others. Kind of like NASCAR....yes I am from the south!
LOL. I have a Ford C-Max. It has a 15A AC plug. I could plug my induction top into that and churn out some killer Chili in record time!

Old 07-18-2018, 01:34 AM   #26
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I am trying to figure out the best size universal pot that I can use as an effective pot in a chili contest. All that I am considering can use electric, gas or induction as a heat source
I think I would want to go with a minimum of 12qt. In my experience, up until about 8 qts the pan diameter is the same. After that, they quit making the sides higher, and make the pan wider. The wider area, would be beneficial for browning. Before you invest a ton of money in a pot, you might want to try something cheaper, and then upgrade later. This seems like a good deal, but I wouldn't count on it lasting anything like a staub or le creuset.
https://cajuncastiron.com/shop?olsPa...ron-dutch-oven
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #27
Lummy
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Brian

i recently bought a 16 quart King Kooker cast iron pot off of amazon. It was 62 dollars. Took a little work to season. Had what almost seemed like black paint on it. But after some scrubbing and a few burn offs it's nice and shiny like it should be. Made Burgoo for our Derby party and it worked great. The burgoo had, if I remember correctly, about 12 lbs of meat in it. There was a lamb shoulder, chicken thighs, and a pork butt. Beware though, its a VERY heavy pot.
Lummy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #28
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

Dutch oven all the way.

So it goes - Vonnegut
BigThicket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #29
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
I would like some feedback from the group on what pot might be the best. Obviously, I would use it for many other things.
This is really a question for Smoke Ninja to answer. Can't believe I was the first to suggest this!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #30
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

I got a Tramontina Dutch oven and I have been very happy with it for four or five years now.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->