Choosing the Right Chili Pot For Competition

I don't disagree at all with what you are saying. Competitions I have attended in the past have rarely had electricity to be able to use induction.

As far as I know, as long as the noise and potential fumes, if any, dont bother others. Kind of like NASCAR....yes I am from the south!

I am trying to figure out the best size universal pot that I can use as an effective pot in a chili contest. All that I am considering can use electric, gas or induction as a heat source

As far as I know, as long as the noise and potential fumes, if any, dont bother others. Kind of like NASCAR....yes I am from the south!

LOL. I have a Ford C-Max. It has a 15A AC plug. I could plug my induction top into that and churn out some killer Chili in record time!

I am trying to figure out the best size universal pot that I can use as an effective pot in a chili contest. All that I am considering can use electric, gas or induction as a heat source

I think I would want to go with a minimum of 12qt. In my experience, up until about 8 qts the pan diameter is the same. After that, they quit making the sides higher, and make the pan wider. The wider area, would be beneficial for browning. Before you invest a ton of money in a pot, you might want to try something cheaper, and then upgrade later. This seems like a good deal, but I wouldn't count on it lasting anything like a staub or le creuset.
https://cajuncastiron.com/shop?olsPage=products/cajun-classic-red-enamel-coated-cast-iron-dutch-oven

i recently bought a 16 quart King Kooker cast iron pot off of amazon. It was 62 dollars. Took a little work to season. Had what almost seemed like black paint on it. But after some scrubbing and a few burn offs it's nice and shiny like it should be. Made Burgoo for our Derby party and it worked great. The burgoo had, if I remember correctly, about 12 lbs of meat in it. There was a lamb shoulder, chicken thighs, and a pork butt. Beware though, its a VERY heavy pot.

I would like some feedback from the group on what pot might be the best. Obviously, I would use it for many other things.

This is really a question for Smoke Ninja to answer. Can't believe I was the first to suggest this!

Back