Outdoor frying on gas grill - possible?

brett_j

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I would like to use one of my cast iron pans to make some homemade fried chicken. Has anyone ever done frying in a cast iron skillet on a gas grill? I’ve got a Weber Genesis 310 and I’m not sure if it’s got enough grunt to keep the skillet and oil hot while frying. Anyone successfully done this? Would love to keep the mess and smell outside but don’t feel like breaking out the dedicated frying burner.

I've never done it on a gas grill but I've fried chicken in a Dutch oven on top of a propane turkey deep fryer. I don't see why it wouldn't work if the oil is hot enough. Open flame is open flame.

Might have better luck if you remove any sort of "tent" or flare guard (not familiar with your particular weber) but be damn careful as flame bars will likely extend beyond the edge of the skillet. This can set up a nasty grease fire.

If I'm totally off base with my thinking then please ignore and cook/fry on.

When I was a kid, my uncle used to do fish frys on a gas grill all the time. I would suggest turning the flame off when you add food the first time. If it boils over you are going to have a serious problem if the flame is still on. After you get a feel for how the oil is going to react you can play it by ear.

I haven't fried in oil on it but I cook with cast iron on a gas grill. I just run one side on and slide the pan to the Off side for any adding/flipping/mixing ect. It should run plenty hot to make Chickie Fried Steaks :wink:

Back