Went to the Butcher

Samichlaus

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Got 4 bone-in Rib-eyes. A bit over 2 lb each. Do you guys ever rub your steak a few hours before cooking?

ebay041.jpg

I have, but I'm not sure if it made a big difference. I've tried a variety of rubs and seasoning, but my favorite is still Montreal Steak Seasoning. I put it on pretty heavy and smash it into the surface.

For my steaks tonight, I am trying the Texas Rib Rangers Steak Seasoning that I bought at Hawgeyes.

Those look like nice steaks! What time is dinner?

I just rubbed 'em. I'm really happy with this for any beef.

Dinner is about 6, I'll start drinking about 5, or maybe now. What to drink? I'm thinking vodka as beer might hinder my meat consumption.

B0007Q426U.01-A2HQIHN19UB214.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Trim those just right and they would make some great beef ribs!

Just my opinion here, but prime beef like that deserves to be appreciated on it's own.
I've got a big jar of my "house seasoning", which is a simple mix of fresh cracked pepper,salt and garlic powder. Use that on most everything I don't want to over season.

Kevin said:
Just my opinion here, but prime beef like that deserves to be appreciated on it's own.
I've got a big jar of my "house seasoning", which is a simple mix of fresh cracked pepper,salt and garlic powder. Use that on most everything I don't want to over season.

Agreed, but simpler. Fresh cracked pepper, and the a deglaze sauce using a good wine ( I realize you can't deglaze the grill, but does anyone know how they end up with deglazed wine sauce in a restaurant (one you know that uses a grill to cook) there must be a secret)u

willkat98 said:
Agreed, but simpler. Fresh cracked pepper, and the a deglaze sauce using a good wine ( I realize you can't deglaze the grill, but does anyone know how they end up with deglazed wine sauce in a restaurant (one you know that uses a grill to cook) there must be a secret)u

A sacrificial "lesser steak" seared in a pan, and the resulting fond deglazed with the wine and sauce made. A classic French technique. The "lesser steak" can be a round steak, chuck steak, etc. It does not have to be discarded, either--just save it and use it for something where maximizing the beefiness is not necessary. Chile, spaghetti sauce, tacos, burritos, etc.

I do this frequently when grilling a top notch steak. I will pan sear some fairly thinly sliced chuck steak[thin slicing exposes more of the surface for browning] until I get a good fond developed on bottom of pan. Then deglaze and make sauce--I do this first, then hold sauce while grilling steak.

Sami, how did it go? When we do steaks, we usually rub with salt and pepper, and marinade in Italian dressing, Warchestershire sauce, and fresh pressed garlic. BTW, those steaks look great.

nmayeux said:
Sami, how did it go? When we do steaks, we usually rub with salt and pepper, and marinade in Italian dressing, Warchestershire sauce, and fresh pressed garlic. BTW, those steaks look great.

Same as Noah without the italian dressing. Simple is best for a good cut of meat like that. You want the meat to be the star.

Kevin said:

My steak seasoning is close to yours, Kevin. I use freshly cracked black pepper and garlic salt. Heavy on the black pepper. Then a couple of dashes of Worcestershire while cooking.

My favorite steak seasoning is Lawrys Seasoned Salt and garlic pepper. Nice steaks Sami.

Note to Bill: Notice, no hot sauce here. :p

Last edited:
Bigdog said:
My favorite steak seasoning is Lawrys Seasoned Salt and garlic pepper. Nice steaks Sami.

Note to Bill: Notice, no hot sauce here. :p

No hot sauce for me either, but a little horseradish is a wonderful compliment to fine beef like that.
Black pepper, MSG and garlic for me on the meat, I'd go for some sauteed mushrooms in an au jus instead of the vino based sauce.

kcquer said:
No hot sauce for me either, but a little horseradish is a wonderful compliment to fine beef like that.
Black pepper, MSG and garlic for me on the meat, I'd go for some sauteed mushrooms in an au jus instead of the vino based sauce.

I like to saute mushrooms and onions in butter. Yumms.

willkat98 said:
Agreed, but simpler. Fresh cracked pepper

I totally agree. Rub in cracked black pepper, and grill them over coals or wood and serve with a classic black peppercorn sauce with a side of thick cut chunky chips (fries to you lot!!! :grin: ).

Back