Votes: 25 31.6%
  • Yes, and I cook it fat side down

Votes: 35 44.3%
  • No, and I cook it fat side up

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • No, and I cook it fat side down

Votes: 15 19.0%

• Total voters
I cook all my briskets fat side up..Except when im using my electric Cookshack.
If im doing more than one, I put the one on the bottom fat side down to help insulate it from the heating element.

Once, and for all...

1. Brisket fat cap down
2. Pork fat cap up
3. Beans in my chili
4. Water in my water pan
5. Briefs (if you can call them that :shock:)

Anything else? :-D :-D

I season the fat cap, and start it fat cap up, I'm a flipper.....

However, I think shirt is what really does the trick!

Just had to rub that in didn't you??? Don't turn your back on that puppy or it'll be gone! Now back on topic, what did you say you rubbed your brisket with:biggrin:

I remove the exterior fat since it does nothing for me during the cook except produce grease.

Then rub all the exposed real meat and cook on.

May be unique to all the pits I have cooked on.

TIM

i season the cap because i beleive that as the fat renders it pulls some of that juice in and with that cap seasoned it will pull in the seasoned flaver as well could be wrong but ill still do it just cause lolol

I trim the fat and cook cap down...any seasoning goes into the bottom of the cooker. Kinda like taking a leak in a dark suit.

Just had to rub that in didn't you??? Don't turn your back on that puppy or it'll be gone! Now back on topic, what did you say you rubbed your brisket with:biggrin:
He didn't. But just because you're cute, I'll reveal that it's rubbed with Rhythm 'n QUE's 12-Bar Brisket Rub.

Hey, did I tell you that I bought the last 17 yards of that fabric in existence? I tracked it down, yes I did. :mrgreen:

You forgot a category for those of us who flip our meat...I smoke 'em fat cap up for 1/2 the time...then down for 1/4...then up for the final 1/4...ala Paul Kirk. :biggrin: Trying a different method this weekend...so that may change depending on the outcome. :p

I didn't forget about the flippers, I just figured that how you started your brisket was what made the most difference for this question.

Flippers, please don't feel left out!

Once, and for all...

1. Brisket fat cap down
2. Pork fat cap up
3. Beans in my chili
4. Water in my water pan
5. Briefs (if you can call them that :shock:)

Anything else? :-D :-D

Slather?
Foil?
Briquets?
Lump?
Pellets?
Rancher?
Kingsford?

Yeah, do you season the fat cap? (The original question in the thread!)

Slather?
Foil?
Briquets?
Lump?
Pellets?
Rancher?
Kingsford?

You guys just can't be satisfied, can you? :-D

Season fat cap - Yes. Just 'cuz
Slather - nope.
Foil - Usually
Briquets - In the WSM
Lump - In the Egg or Good One
Pellets - In the FEC
Rancher - Yes
Kingsford - two bags of the old K left.

I'm surprised by the voting so far.. I would have though no rub on the fat cap would have been more common.

For me :

no rub on the fat cap
fat side down
minor trimming on fat cap side to level out height difference a bit. Extensive fat trimming of the meat side and the entire perimeter.

I used to season it, but the last 4 cooks or so I stopped rubbing the flat or the cap and haven't noticed a difference. In fact alot of people have commented that it taste better than usual. I was taught in my younger days it is all in the smoke and the wood you use for brisket.

I cook fat side up except for the one closest to the fire on my offset. The last two cooks I've noticed that the flat is a little dry on the one I put fat down. I am going to monitor it more closely next big cook, might need to just rotate it a little sooner.

I use a slather of mustard, brown sugar and chopped up garlic on both sides and then put on the rub- both sides. I do need to improve it. Will try foiling it at 165 next time

Seems like we have more flippers than previously suspected...NTTAWWT!

Back