MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
Mr Baloo
Got Wood.

Brisket is my favorite... looks great!!!!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #17
kgressler
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
Looks great but move that smoker away from the wall a bit. Safety first!
Yeah good call. I had it tucked in close because last week it was pour down rain when I was doing a couple of Pork loins.

Wrapped it up in paper around 9 this morning. IT was about 180. Appears the 275 pit temp lasted throughout the night while I was cooking. I wouldnt be surprised to see it finish by 11. Which is about 2-3 hours sooner then I expected.
The smells is amazing. I also have a few potatoes I plan on throwing on there later today as well.
kgressler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #18
kgressler
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Could you elaborate? Not really sure I understand. If you have something to add or if you think I am doing something wrong please share. A couple of smillies doesnt really help me.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #19
kgressler
Knows what a fatty is.

Hour 7 and the sun is up and has really helped run the pit temp up and has helped melt some of this snow. Ive got 2 vents completely closed and one is just a sliver open. And its still around 260.

Finally hit the stall. Strange it didnt start till 180 and its been on 180 for the last hour and a half. Well thats about it I check back on it in another hour or 2.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #20
kgressler
Knows what a fatty is.

8.5 hours in and it's getting pretty close. Point is done the flat is nearing 200 but still not probing well. Should be another 30 minutes. Pit temp had stabilized right at 240. Everything looks good. Will pull it and throw it in a cooler for a few hours before slicing.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #21
kgressler
Knows what a fatty is.

Forgot to attach the photo. Sorry not the best photo with the sun and shade playing tricks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.7 KB, 179 views)

Old 02-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #22
kgressler
Knows what a fatty is.

Finally finished. Total time was 10 hours. Looks pretty good letting it rest for 15-20 minutes then its wrapped and held for another 2-3 hours ready for dinner will post a few of the finished product later.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #23
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Great lookin brisket! I look forward to the final photos.
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #24
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgressler View Post
Could you elaborate? Not really sure I understand. If you have something to add or if you think I am doing something wrong please share. A couple of smillies doesnt really help me.
I can only guess what he wanted to say, since I'm still half asleep, I'll hazard a guess.

If your pit wants to roll at 275, just roll with it. No need to go fussing with the vents. Some people around here go as high as 350, powering through cooks, it shaves many hours off the cook times with very little difference in final result.

Your thermo is in the point. Most people when using a thermo on brisket packers, poke it into the middle of the flat. The flat is all you are concerned with, the point will take care of itsself.

That about right blu?

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #25
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
Looks great but move that smoker away from the wall a bit. Safety first!

Also, it needs something nonflammable under it. Sitting on a bare wooden deck is not good.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 04:47 AM   #26
kgressler
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
I can only guess what he wanted to say, since I'm still half asleep, I'll hazard a guess.

If your pit wants to roll at 275, just roll with it. No need to go fussing with the vents. Some people around here go as high as 350, powering through cooks, it shaves many hours off the cook times with very little difference in final result.

Your thermo is in the point. Most people when using a thermo on brisket packers, poke it into the middle of the flat. The flat is all you are concerned with, the point will take care of itsself.

That about right blu?
Ok gotchya on the pit temp sounds good. As far as taking the temp on the brisket. I took the temp in about 4-5 spots it just happens that it was in the point when I took the temp.

Doesnt matter. I pulled it at 207 in the flat and it was pretty tender but not the butta that people talk about. Let it rest and it was still "dry" I cant beleive I under cooked it and it makes no sense that i over cooked it. The flat just didnt turnout as I expected.The flat wasnt too bad where it was closest to the point but and near the bottom where the fat cap is/was.
The point was hard to slice. Very moist but just kind of fell apart when I sliced it. Perfect for being pulled.

Kind of frustrating really thought I had all my bases cover this time.
May be time to scrap brisket all together.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #27
bmock
Knows what a fatty is.

Default 2nd attempt at over night brisket

This is what happened to me on my first attempt! Gotta keep trying. Next weekend I'll try it again.
bmock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #28
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Don't give up, sounds like you're getting close except for the juicy factor. It happens to everyone, brisket is one of the more challenging cuts to master. But you will get it sooner than later if you keep trying. Thanks for the detailed posting on this cook.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #29
accuseal
On the road to being a farker

Default Re: 2nd attempt at over night brisket

Ten hours could be a bit on the short side. I'd throw away the thermometer and just probe the flat until tender.
accuseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #30
kgressler
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accuseal View Post
Ten hours could be a bit on the short side. I'd throw away the thermometer and just probe the flat until tender.
That's what I was thinking but with the IT temp at 207 would going higher just overcook it?
I was probing every 20-30 minutes after 195 and the flat just never relaxed.