MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #31
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Very happy with my Forchners that were given to me for Xmas
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #32
big brother smoke

I am a Forschner man first and Pampered Chef man 2nd.

After making several hundred tri-tip sammies this year, I am considering a couple cordless electric knives.

Hi-jack mod: I need recommendations

1. Mr. Twister

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #33
Sweet Breathe BBQ
On the road to being a farker

I use Henckle Pro S...have had good luck with them, I like the balance
Sweet Breathe BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #34
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Cordless electric knives do not have the power over a long cutting session that you may need.

Mr. Twister isn't cordless.

The Cuisinart electric got the best review and has the most powerful moter, but I hate the handle myself.

The cheap Black & Decker E-Knives are fair units and are almost desposable at $11.00 from their outlet store.

Here is a review of some

http://www.galttech.com/research/hou...tric-knife.php
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #35
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILLA View Post
Cordless electric knives do not have the power over a long cutting session that you may need.

Mr. Twister isn't cordless.

The Cuisinart electric got the best review and has the most powerful moter, but I hate the handle myself.

The cheap Black & Decker E-Knives are fair units and are almost desposable at $11.00 from their outlet store.

Here is a review of some

http://www.galttech.com/research/hou...tric-knife.php

I bought the Cuisinart, Zilla.
Thanks!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #36
landarc

The forged Wusthof lines are made in Germany. The cheaper consumer lines are made elsewhere. I love my old Wusthof and have not handled a better knife, other than a Kramer, which I will never own.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #37
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardjp View Post
I like Dexter Russel, good solid knives and good price. I love my 14" Forschner scimitar for slicing brisket.

I agree on the Dexter, but i don't do comps. Can be picked up reasonable on Flea-bay
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #38
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

I am a big "you get what you pay for" guy when it comes to knives. A good quality knife, or set of knives will pay for itself over its lifetime.

That said I have always had a couple of electric knives on hand and they work pretty well. I don't like how they 'chew up' the edges on very tender pieces of meat...say an overcooked brisket or well done ribs. However, when serving in the backyard, they are a great time saver.

I would love to hear any recommendations for good quality cordless electric knives. Battery life seems to be a major issue with the ones I have seen so far.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #39
BluesDaddy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
I've got a Pampered Chef chef's knife that the wife bought about 10 years ago and I still use it all the time. I recently bought a couple of boning knives from Sam's that work great for trimming/cutting meat and poultry. Kitchen shears for the tough work.

I got a entire knife set from the in-laws for Christmas. Literally says "As seen on TV" on the box. Cheapo's for sure, but the set comes with a decent cleaver that I've used a few times.

I won't spend a lot of money on knives.......then again, I'm a MAJOR cheap arse!
Plus....I don't compete or cater either.

You know what......don't listen to me.
MY FIL got a set of these and just opened them. I was actually impressed with a couple of the knives in the set, the cleaver being one of them and the santoku style knife being the other. A whole ton of knives that are fairly sharp for like $20.
BluesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #40
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy View Post
MY FIL got a set of these and just opened them. I was actually impressed with a couple of the knives in the set, the cleaver being one of them and the santoku style knife being the other. A whole ton of knives that are fairly sharp for like $20.
Yeah, the carving knife, cleaver, cheese knife and carving fork are one's that I've never had but always wanted. They're not THAT bad. The cheese knife looks like a santoku, but it's a bit shorter and the edge is not as straight. Still don't have a santoku.

Just got home and looked. They're RONCO brand.

Pretty sharp, just don't know how they'll last.
Oh well, free to me.

Now this thread's got me curious. Gonna look at some Wusthof's online just for chits and giggles.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #41
fjaggie07
Knows what a fatty is.

They are a little colorful and a little fruity, but my wife bought a set of Shun Pure Komachi 2 knives and they have kept an edge! One thing I can't stand is a dull knife and I keep the sharpener close by but these bad boys have been great! I highly recommend if you can get past the bright colors.
fjaggie07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #42
jlondon

I use the Victorinox (formerly Victorinox Forschner) Fibrox 12-Inch Granton Edge Slicing Knife and the Shun 8" chef's knife, the Shun 6" utility knife, and the Shun 3-1/2" paring knife. While Shun is far from the cheapest option, they keep an edge real well and the weight and grip is to my liking. I used to use a cheap electric slicer as well, but the damned thing kept overheating – thought it’d burn my hand last go around; so I threw it out.
jlondon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #43
chobint

A great place to look for knives and kitchen wares in general are places like TJ Maxx or any second-run women's clothing/housewares sort of store. I just bought my parents a nice big Wusthof chefs knife for ~20-30. I also got a nice 12" calphalon nonstick pan for 30 (killer deal). My knives are an Anolon block set that I scored off Ebay for $55 shipped. They have a 58 or 60 rockwell hardness, so they take and hold a nice edge. I love the 10" slicer with the santoku style divets.
chobint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #44
gnwes

perhaps you should check out the latest edition of http://www.smokesignalsmagazine.com/

Old 07-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #45
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim BBQ View Post
I bought the J.A. Henckles Four Star set and have been very pleased with them. You can get an 8 piece set for under $150 on line. They seem to be really good quality.
That seems like one heck of a deal as I have paid almost that for just one!

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BBQ Knives, knives