MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
N8man
Babbling Farker

Default While I'm on the Subject of Fuel for Smoking

I've been using Pecan Shells now for a few years. Layer some Briquettes then layer some Shells, alternating as I fill up the Coal Basket. I recently received three, 5 gallon buckets full of Walnut shells from my Great Auntie that I'm going to try.
I'm interested to know what else y'all have used to Smoke with, besides the traditional split hardwood and fruitwood, along these lines?

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

never used any shells man... kinda curious though... how do you like the flavor of the pecans?
I would think/guess that the shell would have more oil and thus produce a heavier smoke than the wood?

I don't live in an area that cranks out the walnuts or pecans so I guess I'd have a tough time finding any to use anyways...

BTW - I always use pine lodge pole for smoking.. mmmm! lol JK!
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Papa Payne
is one Smokin' Farker

Hmmm, there's a pecan tree in the back yard. I need to start saving the shells and give that a try.

Are you talking about the green outer shell or the brown shell around the nut itself? Can a person use limbs and twigs as well?

To answer your question, all I've used so far is hickory wood chunks... nothing unusual.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Payne View Post
Hmmm, there's a pecan tree in the back yard. I need to start saving the shells and give that a try.

Are you talking about the green outer shell or the brown shell around the nut itself? Can a person use limbs and twigs as well?

To answer your question, all I've used so far is hickory wood chunks... nothing unusual.

Cut that sumbiskit down and by next summer you'll have good wood to burn!

In my limited experience, limbs are ok if they are 3-4" in diameter, twigs... lotta bark and little wood, usually = campfire flavor
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
N8man
Babbling Farker

Quote:
The Brown Shell is what I use. And I think Limbs of a sizable diameter would be fine. I'm cutting some limbs outta Daddy's Oak Tree tomorrow and am gonna sawzall them down to a manageable size and stack them to dry for future use.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
countyliner
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Are you talking about the green outer shell or the brown shell around the nut itself?
The green outer shells are called hulls or husks...and, not to hijack the thread, but I've been thinking of trying hickory hulls on the fire. Has anyone tried that? How about whole hickory nuts on the fire?
countyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
N8man
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
never used any shells man... kinda curious though... how do you like the flavor of the pecans?
I would think/guess that the shell would have more oil and thus produce a heavier smoke than the wood?
The Pecan Shells impart a very pleasant Smokey Flavor to the meatstuff I've been smoking. The Pecans were shelled last year and allowed to dry. I haven't tried freshly shelled ones, but I imagine it would be like smoking with green wood.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
countyliner
Full Fledged Farker

What would you think about dried hulls, N8?

Old 12-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

My grandfather, Chief Eagle Eye Crummel, told me Native Americans used to bag a bunch of black walnut husk and throw them in a stream, then just pick up the fish as they floated to the top poisoned by the husk. Just saying.

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
N8man
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by countyliner View Post
What would you think about dried hulls, N8?
Firstly, a warning about using nut shells. Keep in mind that individuals that suffer from nut allergies should stay away from the smoking process and foodstuffs that have been smoked with nut shells. I don't know if once used, whether or not the Smoker becomes contaminated by the nut shell smoke.
Be forewarned. Do it at your own risk!!!! I'd hate for anyone to become deathly ill because of something I've advocated for myself.
Secondly, I have found no data, for or against, in using the hulls for smoking. That's not to say that no data exists, but in a google search about walnut hulls all I have been able to turn up so far are the benefits of adding them for a dietary supplement. And we all know dietary supplements are lax in ways of having extensive FDA testing done.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Have you tried burning any by themselves? I know you should not use walnut for smoking, I was thinking the same for the shells.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #12
N8man
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Have you tried burning any by themselves? I know you should not use walnut for smoking, I was thinking the same for the shells.
I thought the general consensus was that any fruit or nut bearing tree
was alright to smoke food with.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
cedstevo
Knows what a fatty is.

I use Pecan shells also, but mostly for grilling. But to answer your question, one of the other things I've used is corncobs.
cedstevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2009, 11:21 PM   #14
countyliner
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
I know you should not use walnut for smoking.
Why not?

Old 12-17-2009, 01:23 AM   #15
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Sorry, you should not use walnut by itself. Walnut gives off a bitter smoke that does not taste good by itself. In the post below there is a list of the woods that are good for smoking. The list is a few posts down from the OP.

Walnut search

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote