To All The Lurkers, Newbies, and Inexperienced Cooks - Long

Stlsportster

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Today I added the 6th cooker to my arsenal. I posted and joked about it, a few hundred people viewed it, and a bunch commented.

As I looked at my post it occurred to me that to a newbie...to a lurker...I might look like a pro. It might be intimidating. I’m a Babbling Farker with over 3 thousand posts and tons of pictures of food and a complex sounding wood burning smoker...and a rotisserie (haven’t used one ever before, but now I own one), and 6 cookers.

But here’s the thing. I’m a rookie too. A lurker. Who got curious and tried a pellet smoker from Costco on a whim. And I liked the result and the process. And I started researching different ways to improve. And I found this place. These Farkers.

Oh I didn’t post at first, but when I got my Pit Barrel Cooker (after reading 125 pages of the PBC thread) I posted my first post. And since then this place has drawn me in. These people are my friends and extended family. I’ve even met a few face to face. And the rest is history.

So today is kinda a big day. This forum had a Birthday.

Phil/BBQchef33 founded this site out of his love for BBQ and the importance of maintaining an open forum for learning and teaching. He and the other founders also wanted a place the brotherhood and sisterhood could joke, and laugh and share in the good times and get support from friends in the rough times.

There are a lot of costs to run a site like this. Hosting and storage and bandwidth costs are into the thousands every month. Believe it or not this is not a full time job for Phil...he does it in his spare time.

If you are not currently a subscriber, please consider it. $25 a year is the minimum donation to help keep this place running.

Now you might say....but $25.... that's a lot. But I bet you've saved more than $25 on the information you've learned here. I know I have on KBB sales at Lowes alone. Not to mention the countless hundreds of dollars I've saved on things like Prime Day, Restaurant Depot membership fees, Brethren discounts to Oakridge for rubs or on Inkbird thermometers.

On top of all that there are other benefits. You get a cool beer icon and a star by your name. You get to choose an avatar. You get a larger signature line, you can upload attachments, do advanced searches, do multi member private messages, and access the private member areas where you can read in detail about the Inception of the Brethren and how this site was founded...all because of a typo/autocorrect.

Enough of my soapbox. Please consider a subscription and help keep this place running smoothly.

Great post Joel, I too highly recommend the subscription in addition to alerts that have saved me money I must also disclose that I have spent money as well, however in a more informed manner. Also the subscription gets the subscriber additional access to this site.

Great post, Joel!

I've been privileged to meet a buncha great folks through this group from all over the USA (plus a couple from The Netherlands and Canada) from all walks of life and the one constant is that they are the coolest, most helpful people ever.

Here here...this site has saved me hundreds and cost me thousands :becky: :thumb:

I'm right there with you. Paid my subscription because not only has this site taught me a lot and saved me from messing up meats along the way, I have bought cookers from this site and continually want more.

Great post and reminder. I'm similar, the amount of posts is not an indication of the experience of the cook. I've learned a ton from the folks here -- and have, on occasion, both saved and spent money as a direct result of this site.

Well said Joel Thank You :thumb: I know I have gotten a lot from this place in education, fun and most important FRIENDS

absolutely subscribe. for the information and advice you can get here, the $25 bucks is paltry. I subscribed within days of finding the place and have already re-subscribed. Like many have said, I've saved more money in "things not screwed up" than that simple subscription fee. Be a supporter !

I believe I never would have attempted to cook a brisket without the all of the great info available here. I am no longer intimidated by that huge hunk of meat and always look forward to the next one. That alone is worth the subscription not accounting for everything else the brethren have provided. Next month I'm renewing my subscription. :icon_cool

Ante up boys and girls. Well worth it. Support the group that offers you so much collective knowledge.

Worth every penny. The food ideas presented here are better than any other forum. There are members here with creativity that seems to know no bounds. I've upped my food game just by trying to replicate some of their dishes, and my family comments on it all the time.

Not to mention, you can always reach out when you are in a jam. "Is this safe?" "What should I take to _____?" "how did I keep this from going further south" Such a great resource.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Nicely done!

Nicely put. I'm more than happy to fork over the 25 bucks. This place is a wealth of good info and fun times. I daresay the $25 was easily recouped when I cooked my first not-horrible brisket utilizing the advice given to me on this forum. :-D

Like everyone else has said, the $25 is money well spent. I’ve cooked more good meals than I can count because of this site. I saw you mention a bbq brethren discount to Oakridge BBQ. Is there a coupon code for members? Easily my most used rubs and yet another thing I leaned about on this site.

Very well said Joel. I lurked for almost 2 years before joining, then another year or so before subscribing. Learned a ton, met some really cool Brethern, and loved every minute of it!

Back