MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
piddlin
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Low carb camping

So, the missus and me are going on a little truck camper get away to WV this weekend. I just ordered the Weber Go Anywhere and Lodge skillet to fit the WGA.

I'd like some Brethren ideas for some low carb, few ingredient meals and not just the standard burgers, steaks and chops. I could eat only meat, but the wife not so much. We do plan to spend a good amount of time away from the camp site. So, meals that take an hour or less would be ideal. Thanks for the help.
piddlin is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Old 08-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

I like to presmoke fatty's and then you can just slice and heat on the griddle. If you do a stuffed one with cheese/bacon it will be amazing when you get the cheese golden brown and crispy on the reheat.

You could do a cauliflower fried rice? Use some leftover meat from one of your dinners for it.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Mix up a batch of Caesar salad dressing. Bye a couple packs of salad lettuce throw in a cooler and you are good go. Nuts, cheese, avocadoes work well. Make some cheese chips or buy them for crunchy snacks. My recipe for Caeser dressing below. For the rest, just a simple meat party. Steaks, sausage, shrimp etc.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...t=caesar+salad

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.

Last edited by chingador; 08-13-2019 at 02:52 PM..
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
Sickboy579
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Ed

Chicken fajitas, minus the tortilla. Clean whole food

Old 08-13-2019, 05:53 PM   #5
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Your only limited by your imagination with this list

https://drfitt.com/bali-food-list/

Old 08-13-2019, 06:04 PM   #6
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

>We do kabobs a lot with chicken and pork with zucchini and onion, sometimes pineapple. Marinade meat ahead of time if you want added flavor.
>My dad stops at a meat store on the way to his camping spot and buys a big pack of appetizers that are small pieces of beef, wrapped around some cheese and the whole thing wrapped in bacon. You could you could make them ahead and use chicken pieces or even whole boneless thighs instead of beef. I like to slice a jalapeno or other pepper and wrap that in it too.
>Stuffed poblanos or bell peppers halved with shredded meat, cheese, onions and spinach.
>foil meals with chicken thighs instead of burgers, bacon or bacon grease, cabbage, shrooms, carrots, onions. If you want no potatoes, I like any other root veggies like turnips, rutabagas, beets. Broccoli works good too but keep the pieces bigger so it isnt mush.

**All of this could be prepped ahead to cook less than an hour. Otherwise a little more time

Last edited by jermoQ; 08-13-2019 at 06:09 PM..
jermoQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-15-2019, 02:30 AM   #7
Badjak
is one Smokin' Farker

Definitely look at rice.
Boil it in the morning, and after about 10 minutes boiling move to a sleeping bag or something insulated and it will stay hot for hours.
Some meat on the fire, some form of sauce and you are good to go!

Look at rice noodles as well. They are very quick to cook. You can turn them into a salad or anything you want

Have fun!

Old 08-15-2019, 07:00 AM   #8
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

not sure rice is all that low carb.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #9
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

MISSION makes "carb balance" tortillas and wraps. The flour ones we buy have 19g of carbs, but have 13g of fiber..... so the net carbs per tortilla is 6g. They are not as soft as the regular flour tortillas, but those have something like 25g of carbs and only 1g of fiber. In addition to burritos (or breakfast burritos) or softshells try both a Mexican influenced quesadillas or a quesadilla with pizza ingredients inside. If you use tortillas for a sandwich or instead of a hamburger bun, you can always trim away any excess.... which is really cutting carbs.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #10
hurricanedavid
is one Smokin' Farker

Seasoned salmon fillets cooked in that CI skillet with a little EVO would be awesome. Add a few grilled veggies on the side and you have the perfect easily cooked healthy meal.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:32 PM   #11
bowhnter
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickboy579 View Post
Chicken fajitas, minus the tortilla. Clean whole food
We use the whole wheat low carb tortillas. Only 3-4 carbs each.

Edit: What Wayne said 2 posts up...

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber kettle 22” and 26”
Weber Genesis
Blackstone 22 and 36
Weber Jumbo Joe for the RV
Ooni Pro Pizza Oven

Join us for the South East Bash in Lebanon, Tn. May 4, 2024 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...p=drivesdk)%5D
Bash planning thread here https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=305951
bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote