• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ordering Butchers Paper

I get mine from Costco. If you have a local butcher, ask him/her to sell you some. You don't need much.

Shipping is the killer when ordering the stuff. So, do everything you can to buy it locally.

Good luck!

I checked my Costco and they didn't have anything without wax or bleach. This link is for 1000ft to my door for $31. Now I've never bought BP before but I thought that was really good.

That's about 32 cents per foot. So. it's a bit cheaper than foil. Sounds like a good deal. But, keep looking for a local source that will save you shipping costs.

Appreciate the advice. Can you verify this is the style of BP that I need? Would hate to end up with 1000ft of packing paper.

That's about 32 cents per foot. So. it's a bit cheaper than foil. Sounds like a good deal. But, keep looking for a local source that will save you shipping costs.

Uh, price check on isle 9.... 1000' for $31 is just a hair over 3 cents a foot. At 32 cents a foot the roll would be $320.

Ok I'm ready to give the foil a break and try the paper. Before I end up with a ton of paper that I can't use I want to make sure this is what people are using and if not where are you guys getting it from?

http://www.pospaper.com/18pbp.html

I looked at that link, and when I pressed "add to cart" to see if they had any specials, a line appeared that said "product not orderable", I guess that means it's not in stock.

Because there are many choices,..... un-coated, sizing added, natural, red, white, etc., I'd call whoever and confirm. White will be easier to find locally, but lets face it..... real barbecuists use the red. :mrgreen: And it has tons of uses, from laying out on the counter when you are prepping food or cleaning fish...., to using for absorbing grease off things like fried fish or chicken, to baking in, to wrapping meats for resting, to serving on..... and so on.

Here is the difference between coated deli wrap (or steak wrap) and the plain red paper, the coating is on one side only. And usually the plain is heavier.... I think mine is called 40# paper.

1-20-13005aaa.jpg

The plain red absorbs grease and liquid over time, but once it becomes saturated,.... it will hold liquids.... but you will always get bleed through. So be prepared for that. I like the 24" wide as you have less seams when wrapping things like ribs or brisket.... and 24" is the width of most kitchen counters, and I lay out a sheet to make clean-up easier. I'm not the neatest guy in the kitchen.

1-20-13003aaa.jpg

1-20-13016aaa.jpg

I buy mine from Sam's Club. It also works well for painting paper for the boys when they wish to do art.

Thanks Thirdeye hadn't tried putting it in the cart yet. I know it has to be local somewhere but can't find it as of yet. Does anyone have somewhere online that has the brown paper in stock because I can only find the brown treated or waxed paper.

Thanks Thirdeye hadn't tried putting it in the cart yet. I know it has to be local somewhere but can't find it as of yet. Does anyone have somewhere online that has the brown paper in stock because I can only find the brown treated or waxed paper.

Here's where I get mine from:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/435/butcher-paper-twine.html

I recommend the 24" just because it's easier to wrap briskets, but 18" will work, just not as easily IMO.

Here's a few different ones I have come across. I'm not sure about the difference between Peach treated or dyed red though. If someon could explain that I am curious.

That's my issue too. I get nervous when I see the word treated but maybe I'm over thinking it.

Is The Paper Coated
They all are coated with the exception of the white newsprint and the wider rolls of butcher paper. Butcher paper and peach treated paper have a coating called sizing which gives them leak resistance and wet strength. Our 24",30", and 36" rolls of butcher paper are untreated, because they are not often used for meat wrapping (they're often used for crafts or for table covers). Freezer paper has an interior coating of polyethyene. This gives the paper strength, leak resistance, and prevents freezer burn for up to a year!
Can I Write on This Paper?

You can write with sharpie, pen, pencil, or crayon on any of these papers. However, you can only write on the outside of the freezer paper, due to the poly coating.
Are There Peaches in Peach Treated Paper (alt. What is Peach Treated Paper)?

There are no peaches in peach treated paper. Much like butcher paper, peach treated paper is coated with sizing for wet strength and leak resistance. But unlike other papers, peach treat paper allows the meat to breathe, allowing it to maintain an attractive color. Also, the darker color hides any juices that happen to leak. You should not freezer in peach treated paper (or butcher paper) unless you first wrap the product in plastic

That's what I'm a little uncertain about. One adds Red dye #40, do you want that to leak into your food? Not really sure about either right now.

Is The Paper Coated
They all are coated with the exception of the white newsprint and the wider rolls of butcher paper. Butcher paper and peach treated paper have a coating called sizing which gives them leak resistance and wet strength. Our 24",30", and 36" rolls of butcher paper are untreated, because they are not often used for meat wrapping (they're often used for crafts or for table covers). Freezer paper has an interior coating of polyethyene. This gives the paper strength, leak resistance, and prevents freezer burn for up to a year!
Can I Write on This Paper?

You can write with sharpie, pen, pencil, or crayon on any of these papers. However, you can only write on the outside of the freezer paper, due to the poly coating.
Are There Peaches in Peach Treated Paper (alt. What is Peach Treated Paper)?

There are no peaches in peach treated paper. Much like butcher paper, peach treated paper is coated with sizing for wet strength and leak resistance. But unlike other papers, peach treat paper allows the meat to breathe, allowing it to maintain an attractive color. Also, the darker color hides any juices that happen to leak. You should not freezer in peach treated paper (or butcher paper) unless you first wrap the product in plastic

I think that this is getting over thought just a bit. The above highlighted in red should answer the question of what size to buy and also take care of the concern about using treated paper.

Back