Jalapeno and Cheese Summer Sausage Recipe?

DavidEHickey

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm getting a 15 lb sausage stuffer for Christmas and was wanting to make some summer sausage "since I have about 10 packs of casings" does anyone have a good recipe? Everything I find involves venison and I'd rather just do a beef and pork type recipe. Or has anyone tried the Hi Mountain mix?

Thanks
David Hickey

You should be able to use lean beef in place of the venison. However, I wonder if you could use mutton in place of the venison? I never thought of it before, just sort of came to me "in a dream" right now. Or a lamb roast if you can't find mutton I suppose.

I do not have a recipe to share but will be eager to see any recipes posted.

here is one that I've used with good success. You can add Jalopeno's in lieu of red pepper flakes. For the cheese, I've had best luck using the "High temp" cheese , as it doesn't melt when you smoke it.

3lb venison round
2 lb. pork butt ground
1/2 cup cold water
3TBS Morton Tender Quick
2 TBS Red Pepper Flakes
2 TBS Mustard Seed
2Tsp corse black pepper
2 Tsp onion powder
1 Tsp garlic powder

Mix all ingredents well and cover and refridgerate 3 days.
Remix twice daily. Stuff into casings or hand form into rolls.
Smoke in smoker at 225-250 for about 4 hrs or internal temp
reaches 155 deg.

I have a spreadsheet from another forum that has all kinds of sausage recipes, all you have to do is put in how much you want to make and it gives you the amount of ingredients that you need. I am awaiting a response from the creator to see if he minds if I share it here.

Here is a site that has a couple hundred recipes. It was post some time ago, but with all the new members it could use a bump.
There is a jalapeno sausage recipe under the "Uncooked, Fresh or Air Dried" heading.

Sausage recipes.

Back