MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Holy Mole-fun with chicken, beer and veggies

Was inspired to get half-drunk and cook something with beer, chicken and a veggie (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=147055). Seein' as how beer and chicken are two of my favorite food groups...I figured this would be a good time.

Decided on two family faves; chicken enchiladas (with a mole inspired sauce) and a chicken and rice dish (arroz con familyman). Was definitely a process, roasting chicken for enchiladas/stock, cooking the stock, cooking the thighs for the rice dish, and finally getting the chicken and rice into the DO for the finish.

Started with a whole bird. Broke out the "chicken rocket" for this cook. A cast iron beer can replacement for getting your yardbird drunk by, well, you know...

Rubbed the bird with some Stubb's rubs that those nice folks sent me a while back. Session black lager used exclusively during this cook...

Chicken went into the mini over KBB and cherry chunks.

Here's how it looked when I took it out. Really not paying much attention to time/temp for this cook. Just letting it go until it was "done"

Pulled the meat from the bones for the enchilada filling.

While the bird was cooking I made a base for the stock. Had the beer and veggies simmering while the bird cooked...happily awaiting it's arrival. I dare say the veggies were a little more than half drunken when the chicken carcass arrived.

Seasoned up some untrimmed thighs for the chicken and rice dish. PB Yardbird, of course.

These went into the mini over the same KBB and more chunks of cherry.

Got the ingredients gathered for the rice while the thighs were cooking. Some sausage, onions, peppers, garlic, mushrooms.

Got the rice and veggies cooking in the DO over a propane burner.

Once the veggies and rice had cooked in the DO a bit. Added some of the freshly prepared chicken/beer stock. Brought it to a boil for a couple minutes. Added some of the thighs, then put the DO into the mini for, I'm guessing, a good half-hour plus.

Looked like this after cooking down. Not too thrilled with the color of the thighs (they sure tasted good though).

While the chicken and rice was on the mini, I made the mole sauce and the enchiladas. Have always wanted to make my own mole...still want to. Doctored up some Dona Maria base with some peanut butter, apricot preserves, some chicken/beer stock.

No pics of assembling the enchiladas...I'd still be cleaning the camera if I picked it up during this process. Made a dayum mess...mole covered hands are kinda tasty though.
Here they are panned up, ready for the oven (foil pan too big for mini).

And when they came out...

Got some of the chicken and rice plated with a couple of the enchiladas. A half drunken, beer/chicken/veggie treat. Mighty fine eating!!

This was a pretty fun cook, for sure. Next time I might leave the thighs unseasoned, they darkened quite a bit. Tasted good....a little hard to look at.

Used my Canon 50mm prime lens for these pics. I think some of the shots are really pretty good....like this lens a lot. A steal for less than $100!!

Thanks for checkin out my cook. Stop by the throwdowns and look at all the half drunken entries...
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
stewartr002
On the road to being a farker

Wow! Great coverage of your cook and your recipe is creative. Really enjoyed the pic's and now I'm very hungry.
Thanks for sharing.
Randy

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Phak!
Phabulous reportage and outstanding Photo's!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Iroquois
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

WOW FamilyMan!

You made that sound like a walk in the park, but the pictures made it look like an all day photo shoot for the Sports Illustrated Swim Suit edition.

Fantastic in all respects!

Thanks for sharing.
Iroquois is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Looks beautiful, scrumpdillyicious actually, and I want to eat some right now, ... but ... where are the kids?
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Bluebird
is one Smokin' Farker

Beautiful!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
Gr8fasushi
Found some matches.

that is a smorgasbord of colors!
Gr8fasushi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

Awesome pron and and great cook! Thanks for sharing!
SmokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Looks beautiful, scrumpdillyicious actually, and I want to eat some right now, ... but ... where are the kids?
Thanks! Yeah, no kid pics...weird!? Older kids off at some combo of school/drivers ed/soccer/martial arts. My little smoking buddy Max was home with me...he took a massive nap (was his 3rd birthday two days before...I'm pretty sure he'd been partying nonstop for at least those 48 hours).

I'll tell you, while getting pics ready for this post, the recent changes to photobucket caused me to see a few kid pics from the past...

Katie, my little BBQ Diva

Workin' hard with her little bro Alex...

Max, taking it all in (long before he could walk)...

Will definitely be getting these kids to work on the "baked" TD!!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]

Last edited by FamilyManBBQ; 11-12-2012 at 10:52 PM..
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

pass me a fork! beautiful chix.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Beautiful cook, love the detail of your post. I think it's time for me to give mole another chance. Tried it in Mexico in the early 80s and didn't like it to my disappointment. How could I not like a form of chocolate? Your meal looks absolutely delicious and I even like the colour of the chicken thighs!
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote