MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #16
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeat View Post
cmwr, more crust info than you ever will want. First question will be, "What kind of pizza do you want to make?" More fanatical or obsessive than BBQ'ers, yeah right. Whole new can of worms. So if you are still interested.

Pizzamaking,com: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/ind...8e;wwwRedirect
Thank you! My sons a pizza connisuer so I will get some use out of that site for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
No wood chunks at all... just lump. Pizzas need ZERO smoking wood.

Keep the diffuser in and go right on the grate.

I'm just going about 400 and the pizzas are done in 10 minutes...15 tops and perfect.

Just remember no need for the stone or the super high heat when the pizza is on the grate directly. You'll have better success the next go around.

I put a diffuser in and I took your advice and made another pie. I only had to shortcut one issue. I didn't have time for a good crust and all I could get at our local grocer was cheap box mix. So once again I used Jiffy crust mix. BUT I went to try your method and the pizza would not slide off my pan onto the grate. It was stuck. So I had no choice but to drop the whole pan on the grate. 100% lump and running about 475-485 degrees (that's as hot as she wanted to go), I went about 10 minutes then I was able to slide the pie off the pan onto the rack and finish for another 3-4 minutes. This pie was pretty dang good. Crust was to both our liking and no smoky flavor. It does seem that i got a hint of grill flavor but I wanted that otherwise just do it in the kitchen oven and save some money! In the future I want to try a good homemade pizza crust. Bludawg I may try your recipe. Thanks for all the help guys!
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #17
c farmer
Babbling Farker

Glad your got a good pie this time.

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.

Double O' Seven == Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #18
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post
Glad your got a good pie this time.
Let me ask...do people cook pies on the grill because they taste better or as an excuse to use their grills more? Trying to decide if there is any benefit to doing it or just a good way to blow a lot more money lol.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #19
c farmer
Babbling Farker

I get a different flavor on the grill over the oven. Wife wont eat a oven pizza anymore. Lol

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.

Double O' Seven == Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2014, 05:08 AM   #20
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

For me there is no comparison. I don't go straight to the grate due to the bottom burns before the toppings get cooked the way I cook the pies. For me the toppings have to take on the cooked on a grill flavor also. So I use the aired pizza pan. I also cook at higher temps like my Acorn can get and other kamado's. Typical wood fired pizza ovens are in the 800+ deg range. I prefer using my UDS vs my Acorn. It is just another experiment that I'm playing with. I have cooked pies at lower temps and they came out good. I try the high temp stuff because I can. Each time I learn a bit more. I never stop experimenting. After all it is a hobby.
I don't about your area, but some of the best pizza places around me also sell there's uncooked besides the dough, which is a great way to compare the end results. When you don't have the time to make your own.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #21
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Can you freeze good pizza dough? I could see making several or even buying for a later date.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:56 AM   #22
bamboo
Found some matches.

Use the grill instead of the oven so you dont heat up the inside of your house during the summertime... and of course the flavor thing/fire
bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #23
djr
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwr View Post
Can you freeze good pizza dough? I could see making several or even buying for a later date.
Yes you can, just be careful when you thaw it out so it does not rise to soon. I do mine in the fridge.
Outdoor Gourmet 36" Propane Griddle
Weber Genisis 330
Weber 22.5" OTG
djr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #24
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

I thought it rose one you made it? Once you freeze it at that point it shouldn't raise any more when it thaw out should it?

Old 03-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #25
djr
Knows what a fatty is.

When you freeze it , it will fall and rise again. It will still be good just be carefull.
Outdoor Gourmet 36" Propane Griddle
Weber Genisis 330
Weber 22.5" OTG
djr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #26
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

There is really no need to freeze it. It gets better with age. I make Pizza dough twice a month for the whole month and Friday is Pizza day. Lightly oil a plastic container with a tight fitting lid and keep it in the bottom of the fridge. At 4 days to is to die for, After 11 days of slow fermentation the flavors is OMG.