MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Default Brussel Sprout Recipes

I think I had had brussel sprouts once when I was a kid and never tried them again. Then they came as a side at a restaurant I went to last week and I loved them. I do however think that they could probably go wrong pretty fast if not done correctly. Any of you guys got any great recipes for them, preferably on the smoker or grill?

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
BobM
Babbling Farker

Brussel spouts?

WTF, do you want to kill us all?
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
jason p
On the road to being a farker

My brother made them for thanks giving and they were outstanding. Very simple recipe. He covered them in olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. They were cut in half and cooked very hot in a aluminum pan on the weber. The trick is to cook them hot to carmelize and bring out the sugars. They took about 20 to 30 min.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2
jason p is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I love Brussels sprouts, but, they have to be fresh, or really high quality frozen ones. If I can, I get the ones on the stem.

normal prep for all dishes. I clean out the larger outer leaves, and cut the stem flush with the bottom of the the lowest clean leaf. I then place in ice water until I am ready to prepare them and cook them. I do not like to let them sit exposed to air.

On the Grill:
Simply take some larger sized ones, or if you have a from mat, the smaller ones are better. Cut in half and toss in a good olive oil. Then place on very hot grill and sear/caramelize. Then remove, sprinkle with kosher salt and serve. This works great on cast iron as well.

Raw:
Make slaw with it, instead of cabbage, use Brussels Sprouts

Oh, I love to slice it up and make pastrami or brisket hash, add some taters, onions and the sprouts, so good.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Been eating them all my life. Love them! Never tried smoking them though.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
BobM
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I love Brussels sprouts
That is just wrong.
Are you human?
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
landarc

Yes, tonight I ate kale.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #8
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Grew them for years. Bought them and steamed them at the firehouse.
When they were semi for tender I would kill the steam and cover them for a couple of minutes before serving. A bit of butter, dash of salt and pepper and we were eating in heaven. We did not cover them with American cheese slices. Not needed.
Gas X pills are a bonus if you have them.
Outstanding veggies for us! Still is today.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
MeetMeatsMeat
Got Wood.

I like Brussels sprouts....... with bacon!
MeetMeatsMeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #10
Boochie
Knows what a fatty is.

My wife makes the best Brussels sprouts.
1/2 the sprouts
Chunk up a red pepper
1 lb bacon
Salt , pepper, garlic pdr

Cut raw bacon into small pieces. Cook in pan to 1/2 done. Put sprouts, red pepper, seasoning and bacon on baking pan and put in oven or smoker at 375- 400 for about 45 min.

Done. Sprouts absorb some of the bacon grease, it's AWSOME
Boochie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 12:45 AM   #11
Cloudsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Boochie - this sounds terrific. My wife so lives brussel sprouts - this will be our Christmas dinner vegetable.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #12
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Lov'em myself, all the above sounds good to me, but I normally just steam them and toss in a little butter, salt and pepper and good to go.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #13
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by code3rrt View Post
Lov'em myself, all the above sounds good to me, but I normally just steam them and toss in a little butter, salt and pepper and good to go.

With a touch of lemon
Cheers.
Titch
Titch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 02:02 AM   #14
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Brussel spouts?

WTF, do you want to kill us all?
+1 ^^^

I have a good recipe:

1. Rinse them in the sink
  2. Accidentally, drop them then down the drain and hit that switch next to the sink.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:14 AM   #15
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

One of my favorites has already been mentioned. Just half or quarter them, depending on the size, toss in olive oil, add salt and a good bit of fresh ground bepper and gook on a hot grill or in a hot oven.
For thanksgiving we made them with Gorgonzola and bacon. Just steamed the sprouts for about 4 minutes, then tossed with butter, bacon bits and the crumbled cheese and baked in a 350˚ oven until the cheese started to melt and the sprouts were cooked through. It was mighty good.
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote