MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Our Local Comp: Going KCBS??

Well, it seems we are to have a meeting among the regular contestants at the Oconto VFD, Blowin' the Doors Off BBQ event. There are a few contestants that have brought up the idea of getting larger, and having a bit more incentive for the contestants. At the cookers meeting the day of the event on June 7th, one of the fellow cookers said he would like to see this become a qualifier for the Royal.

Huh?

This dude hasn't even been to a KCBS event, much less been to the Royal. (Just to be sure, I asked him.)

This cat has caused such a stir about it, the organizers are getting us cookers there toget some thoughts and issues on it. I have had several of the other cookers call me and ask all sorts of questions about the KCBS. I try to tell them whatI know, and direct them to the web.

It seems I have mixed emotions about this. I like this contest the way it is because of the current atmosphere. I know all of the cookers. We cook so the VFD can get people in the gates to eat and drink. VFD takes the money to buy fire equipment. If I win, I get a chintzy trophy, and get to rub my neighbors nose in it.

Right now its a lot of work ,but fun.

However, how nice would it be to have 2 KCBS events within an hour of me?? Bigger experience, bigger prize pool, and a chance to meet more great people that cook.
BUT, are these new people going to be willing to cook for the masses in order to get the coveted GC? Is the money intended for the VFD going to be dumped into some teams pocket that has never even heard of our event before?

I'm leaning towards No KCBS Sanctioning.

What are your thoughts??

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
BUT, are these new people going to be willing to cook for the masses in order to get the coveted GC?
What do you mean by this as it relates to moving to KCBS ? Not sure I understand this part.

If the contest is well organized, judging is considered fair and the teams and organizers are happy and ample funds are being raised, then it does not seem like there is tremedous upside to change. KCBS provides some standardization and consistency, but if you have that already, it will just cost money to put a name on what you have. The money raised really comes from the public who comes out to the event and spends money and that is more likely determined by the population in the area and overall interest in the event.

If the goal is to get more teams, potential bigger prize pool and qualifier status then KCBS is the way to go. How many of those local teams would actually make the trip to KC if they did qualify ?
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
txschutte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
What do you mean by this as it relates to moving to KCBS ? Not sure I understand this part.
I mean, how many teams would be willing to cook for the masses, which is really the reason we are there. I would think KCBS Vets are there to compete, not cater or vend. This is expected of each team in the current format.

If the contest is well organized, judging is considered fair and the teams and organizers are happy and ample funds are being raised, then it does not seem like there is tremedous upside to change. KCBS provides some standardization and consistency, but if you have that already, it will just cost money to put a name on what you have. The money raised really comes from the public who comes out to the event and spends money and that is more likely determined by the population in the area and overall interest in the event.
Cooker bennies are low right now. I think the idea is raised because they are trying to give something back to the teams. Without the teams, the event would be dead.

If the goal is to get more teams, potential bigger prize pool and qualifier status then KCBS is the way to go. How many of those local teams would actually make the trip to KC if they did qualify ?
Currently, out of all 10 teams, totaling about 50 people, I am the only one with a current KCBS membership. I can see one or two teams joining KCBS. They are the one's wanting to go bigger. However, they are also the one's that didn't walk at the last comp. My team got RGC, and first in two meats.
The event currently draws 5000 people to a town of 350. Oconto NE is situated in the BFE of NE.

I am planning to talk to these few teams that "wanna go big" at this meeting. I am going to invite them to be part of a team to try it out at another KCBS event. Get some experience under their belt.

I will also suggest if they want to be a KCBS event, they have a Pro and Amateur class. With seeing if we can get the Pro Class Sanctioned only.

If there is an organizer, or KCBS official that I could call with questions during this meeting, please help.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

I would be happy to send you materials and be available to help in any way, including by phone
e-mail me at
mwhitebook at kcbs.us

Merl Whitebook
KCBS Board of Directors.
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
txschutte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
I would be happy to send you materials and be available to help in any way, including by phone
e-mail me at
mwhitebook at kcbs.us

Merl Whitebook
KCBS Board of Directors.
Thanks, Merl. I will be contacting you when I know of the date of the meeting.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
Neal
Full Fledged Farker

You might contact the organizers for a couple of Kansas contests that sound similar to your event...both KCBS sanctioned events.
McLouth, KS is a wonderful contest that we cooked a few years back. Small town (800 or so), but they still draw a good number of cooks each year and the community really gets behind it.
Axtel, KS held a cook off last year to benefit their VFD. It's a town of about 400.

You can find organizer phone numbers and e-mails on the KCBS contest calendar at www.kcbs.us. The McLouth contest is in June and the Axtell contest is in August.

Might be worth a couple phone calls to see if it's worth it to sanction your contest. given the right date, I bet you would get a decent number of teams from Nebraska and Colorado.
[URL="http://www.dodgecountysmokers.com"][SIZE=1][B][I]www.dodgecountysmokers.com[/I][/B][/SIZE][/URL]

[I][SIZE=1]Custom Built Cooker / [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Weber Kettle /[/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]old New Braunfels offset in the backyard[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/I]
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2008, 10:12 PM   #7
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

This is Andy posting in drag - Just noticed Kim had logged me out. I think sanctioning will depend on what your goals are... If you are able to give all your money ( or a majority of it) to the VFD, you just need to do a cost benefit analysis to determine if sanctioning will get you what you want...

It is likely that sanctioning would give you access to more teams, but if you dont have sponsors that are going to put up prize money, you may not draw alot of cookers to BFE - unless they are a backer for your cause. And if you had a big sponsor willing to donate $$ -- you would want most of it to go to the VFD right?

You are in a tough situation... If you can line up the sponsors, then I would say go for it... but without the right sponsors to set off your event, I am not sure the broader audience KCBS sanctioning would get you would pay off...

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #8
txschutte

OK. Here's another question. Would any of you all be willing to travel to a town without hotel accomodations, no grocery store, not even a 24 hr convenince store to participate in an event that would payout only a total of maybe $5k in prizes?

Nearest town with hotels, grocery, yada, is 20 miles away.

Oconto is 26 miles North of Lexington, NE.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Getting 15 teams the 1st year may not be a problem, getting 25 team the 2nd year may be a stretch.....I'm all for cooking sanctioned contests, but the little contest that the Bellys did this past weekend is 10 years old and is non sanctioned...you aren't going to get rich, but it's a heck of a lot of fun........rather tha see it it take a chance to go by the wayside, I think I'd keep it the same as you have it now....

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #10
Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
is one Smokin' Farker

Dont think many if any would care about the lack of accomodations Shane, most of us come with all we need, and stay on site all night. A 5K purse split up isnt that small, if dates worked Tom and I would do it just to support another Nebraska contest.

Corduroy Pillows are Making Headlines

Operation BBQ for our Troops- Midwest Division
www.operationbbqmw.org
Bride of Roo(BQ'n) is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #11
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like the guys who won want to keep their own little private competition while some of the other teams want to try to attract more people to come out and play.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #12
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
OK. Here's another question. Would any of you all be willing to travel to a town without hotel accomodations, no grocery store, not even a 24 hr convenince store to participate in an event that would payout only a total of maybe $5k in prizes?

Nearest town with hotels, grocery, yada, is 20 miles away.

Oconto is 26 miles North of Lexington, NE.
I'd do it. Hotels and food stores aren't much of an issue since I'd be staying with you......
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote