which mustard cuts the mustard

P

-pH

i am gonna smoke some ribs this weekend and have been contemplating using mustard pre-rub. any body have opinions on what type of mustard tastes/works best or if it matters?
heavy seeded mustard? high vinegar content? plain old french's yellow?
thanks,
-pH

It's been said that using Mustard only helps with the rub sticking but does not add any flavor. IMO you don't really need it.

I've never used mustard but from what I've read, it's use does not really impart any flavoring to your cook so it would not seem to make sense to use an expensive one. Plain yellow ought to do.

not really a need for it but Frenchs is fine..id make it a light coating as well

I've used it on pork butts. Any standard yellow mustard will work just fine. As was stated earlier, no flavor is imparted. Helps the the rub stick.

I only started using mustard after joining this forum and reading about other brethern using it. Figured I'd try it and couldn't tell the difference but it does help the rub stick. It's funny watching friends that are around when I am prepping meat and see the expression on their faces and the WTF are you doing questions. LOL They all freak when they taste them and can't tell that there was mustard on them.

Yup.....standard yellow "hot dog" mustard works, but then so does a splash of apple cider vinegar, apple juice, a "pre-rub salt" will pull some moisture out of the meat for the rub to stick to as well.

My rub sticks to the meat just fine with no mustard though........................just sayin'.:roll:

After reading threads here, I smoked a butt and used the "if a little is good a lot is better" mustard theme. You could taste the smoked mustard flavor.
On the second butt I used mustard veeeeeeery thinly you could not taste it.
IMHO It seems to help the rub stick to the meat better. Just my .02

On pork, some believe yellow mustard helps hold the rub on. However, on brisket, spicey brown mustard like Gulden's can add some nice flavor.

French's or any generic brand will work. Save the good stuff for your burgers or hot dogs.

Back