MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
paydabill
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Vending help

I have been asked to vend for an open house. He wants me to sell Pork and brisket sandwiches. I am also selling ribs.

My question is this - He had one about a month ago and the person sold 150 sandwiches with no advertising. If we advertise, we expext more. So, how do you make the determination on how much to cook of the two main meats. If you think you will sale 200 sandwiches, how do you figure how much to cook for each, do you split it 50/50?

Thanks in advance
2 pellet cookers latter!
CBJ - love judging
KCBS - member for 4 years
MOFO Chapter

Super fast - BLUE Thermopen
paydabill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

SoEzzy put together a spreadsheet for catering that may help.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ng+spreadsheet

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

The best scenario is that you run out and leave them wanting more. That way you can create demand for the next time, if you will be doing this on an ongoing basis. The other question to ask, is what did he sell the most of last time?

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
JamesTX
is one Smokin' Farker

Why don't you pre-cook and freeze some pork and brisket. Then, plan for 100-150 and if it looks like you're going to run out, pull a few freezer packs out and heat 'em up.
JamesTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
SoEzzy
Full Fledged Farker

What sort of business is doing the open house?

If it is something that does lots of business on the day your holding it, does he have any numbers for that day of the week, walk ins etc.

The more information he can give you the better.

If he says he gets 500 through the doors, don't cater this time for more than 50% of them, then build off the numbers for the next one.

The idea about pre-packaged and re-heated is a good way too, you don't have to take long to reheat, just make sure you get it all above 165 for 30 seconds minimum, to help keep it safe.

Because of the yield difference on pulled pork and brisket, if you want 200 sammies and say 100 of each, you'll need 67 lbs uncooked butts, and 56 lbs uncooked brisket.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
paydabill
is one Smokin' Farker

Sorry for the long reply. I was out for a couple of days.

The store is a Liquor store with a hair saloon next to it.

I liked the spread sheet. I have a couple questions but will PM you with those. I can not cook and reheat it violates Randolph County Health for meat. I have to cook on site.

I will probably do more pulled pork then brisket. I am thinking right now $5 for pulled pork and $6 for brisket. $6 for 3 bones of ribs. This is the mid-missouri area. We only have 1 bbq resteraunt and they do not do pork. The closest is buckingham's and they charge $5.50 for sandwich.

I am thinking I am going to make 150 sandwiches, 90 pork and 60 brisket, maybe a few extras.

all help is appreciated.
2 pellet cookers latter!
CBJ - love judging
KCBS - member for 4 years
MOFO Chapter

Super fast - BLUE Thermopen
paydabill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
SoEzzy
Full Fledged Farker

Come on with the email any time, I'll respond as soon as I read it and work out the answer.