• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

wagner cast iron pan

mbshop

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
passed on a 10 in skillet today at the second hand store. was 6.99. do i now get banned or should i go shoot myself ?

That must have been hard to do.... I buy it even though I don't need it.... Love the CI muffin pans, work great for oysters & scallops.

A 10-inch Wagner at $6.99 is a bargain, assuming it is in good condition. I am a Griswold man, myself, but Wagner made some really good stuff, too. Yeah, you probably should have bought it.

The old cast iron is so much smoother than what you can buy new, today.

CD

I stopped at my mom and dads the other day. When I got home I noticed a Wagner on the floor by the passenger seat. Big one.

I need to get an electrolysis rig set up so I can clean some of the stuff I have.

Griswold is my preferred CI too, but I'll take free Wagner any day.

I am a Griswold man, myself,
CD

Griswold is my preferred CI too,

I didn't know he made cast iron...

clark-griswold-tree.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Back on topic now.

George, just go hit your head up against a brick wall a few times and you'll do right next time. :p

My brother-in-law gave me his #7 Griswold pot with, handle, lid and a strainer plate in the bottom. He said it is 50+ years old.
My son saw one like it in a antique shop for $175
Ebay had one for $140

I'll bet that strainer in the bottom is a trivet that you sit the pot on so you don't burn your table.

My wife dragged me into a BB & beyond last year and it would have been a total drag if I hadnt found a nice 13" lodge skillet in clearance marked down to something like $11.99.

Later I scored a 4 or 5" lodge for &1.99 at a second hand store.

I want to get or make a rack so they can be out and on display rather than burried in the cabinet, also because butting away slightly wet pans and pots on top of them leads to nasty rust spots :tsk:

To stop the rust, heat the pan up and get it dry, then lightly coat with oil. This will keep the rust away.

I would have bought it just to have on hand or to give to a friend at that price... that is a pretty good deal even though new ones don't cost too much...

I have several Griswold and Wagner pieces. Those are much higher quality than any that you can find in a store today. Those back then were mad by hand and then ground down for a very fine smooth surface, not like the Lodge crap from today or even 30 years ago. My favorite is my Wagner nickel plated chicken fryer. The lid also doubles as another pan! These are pretty rare. Its is the bottom one in the pic. I have many more than shown in the pic, so many that these have to sit on top of the stove, because i have no more room for them! All of them are 70+ years old and i have a couple that are 90+

2882164170102849888S600x600Q85.jpg

To stop the rust, heat the pan up and get it dry, then lightly coat with oil. This will keep the rust away.

Yeah it would be less of an issue if I used them more :tsk: another reason to have them out and on display:p

I have several Griswold and Wagner pieces. Those are much higher quality than any that you can find in a store today. Those back then were mad by hand and then ground down for a very fine smooth surface, not like the Lodge crap from today or even 30 years ago. My favorite is my Wagner nickel plated chicken fryer. The lid also doubles as another pan! These are pretty rare. Its is the bottom one in the pic. I have many more than shown in the pic, so many that these have to sit on top of the stove, because i have no more room for them! All of them are 70+ years old and i have a couple that are 90+

2882164170102849888S600x600Q85.jpg

No doubt the antiques are great pieces and I can see the advantage of a smoother finish as mine are a pain to clean if I dont keep them very well oiled but I hapliy make do with what modest tools I can gather :becky:

That said the ones I have would be out the door if I was lucky enough to land a couple scores like the OPs lol.

Oh! what about "finishing" a pan your self? Im always up for a diy type project. How would one go about smoothing a cheaper cast iron pan or skillet?

One thing to be careful of is that people used to use their cast iron pans to melt lead to make sinkers and bullets and some of that lead would leech into the pan. I generally avoid old cast iron for that reason. I suppose you could use one of those lead check kits though.

A friend found a cast iron pan at a garage sale for $5. Not sure of the maker right off but she gave it to me and it cooks great. I need to make sausage and sawmill gravy in it now. I love the thing.

Back