Redi Chek smoker thermo ?

B

BobF

I got a Maverick ET-73 after seeing a few posts about them and needing another thermo. Today is first cook using it. Just now I am looking at the remote and temp is holding steady and 183 on the brisket and 252 in the smoker at grate. I just turned it down a little and am expecting to see the grate temp go to 230, so I walked down to the UDS to check and the transmitter is saying 189 and 235. The remote finally updated to this when I carried it to the cooker.
Anyone else seen this behaviour?
Do I have a bad unit or is this normal?
I am sitting 30 feet from the cooker and it is downstairs, but the remote is not always displaying the same temp as the transmitter.

You are too far away from the unit. The range is not anywhere near what is advertised when you go through walls.

Mine easily goes 40 feet, but I'm line of sight and just a sliding glass door away.

I personally just don't trust them. I use them, but not the remote part. I'd just as soon walk a little ways and make sure I'm not getting hosed on the wireless connection.

Now when they come out with one that connects via WiFi to my browser, I'll be all over that.

Honestly the $3.99 digital probe thermo from IKEA works amazing.

You are too far away from the unit. The range is not anywhere near what is advertised when you go through walls.
Mine easily goes 40 feet, but I'm line of sight and just a sliding glass door away.

I personally just don't trust them. I use them, but not the remote part. I'd just as soon walk a little ways and make sure I'm not getting hosed on the wireless connection.

Now when they come out with one that connects via WiFi to my browser, I'll be all over that.

Honestly the $3.99 digital probe thermo from IKEA works amazing.

Maybe I expect too much. I am no more than 30 feet from the transmitter. There is a deck and a window between the 2. This should be possible.
I have a wireless alarm system that uses the same frequency band and is ok throughout the house. Maybe the alarm interferes.
I just would have expected that if there was a display on the remote it would agree with the transmitter. If there is no signal fine, just show the same information on both.

The remote shows the last temperature it had when it lost signal.

I agree that we should be able to expect more, but I'm just giving you what my experience has been. It doesn't have much range through a wall.

I ordered 1 and ended up sending it back. It was just not reliable. I cannot find one that will monitor the meat and the chamber. If anyone know's of one please post up.

At this point the remote won't connect when they right next to each other. Been in use a little over 12 hours.

Did you turn them on in the right sequence? or maybe the batteries are bad?

I believe there is a reset button somewhere. Check the instructions. That might just fix things.

I believe there is a reset button somewhere. Check the instructions. That might just fix things.

There is a button under the battery cover on the transmitter. Once I got something small to push it all the way in, it got communications working again.
Thanks

when I bought mine, I was so excited, I can put the remote beside my bed and can monitor during the night, but never worked that way, now I just use it 3 feet from my smoker, but atleast I do not have to go outside to see how things are going :), so I am still happy with it

I think walking out to check the temps is half the fun. How else do you get that smoke smell all over you?

I took mine apart and installed a antenna. This works likes a champ will go thru 3 walls with new batteries. Be careful if your not familar with electronics. If you need help PM me.

Back