MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
beam boys bbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Default kids q

Here are my thoughts. Caleb, my 8 year old son, was ranked quite well last year. I, his dad, was accused of cooking his hamburger for him.
This is not true, he has cooked more hamburgers all ready this year than i have cooked BBQ.

At the Hermann MO contest, they make everyone come up and cook on a grill in front of the judges. He didn't do too well there, so he said that he did not want to do Hermann because he was not cooking on his grill (and I can see his point )
It would be like someone giving us a new smoker that we have never cooked on and telling us to do the best you can. We, as the cook, would hate it.

My thoughts on how to equal this out fairly.

Have kids q one hour before KCBS turn in, and have a judge at each kid q camp just to watch over the whole cooking process. Then walk the kid into the tent with their presentation. This judge would then be required to sit at another table so as they would not be tasting the same hamburger they watched being cooked.

Your thoughts?
York

Last edited by Solidkick; 04-29-2008 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Clarification, puncuation, and spelling
beam boys bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
eurycea
Knows what a fatty is.

I think they do this at Laurie, MO. I don't have a problem with it, but some might have not like seeing a judge sitting at a cook site for an extended period of time right before turn in. Laurie says they use the observers as table captains.
eurycea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

We do a kids q at a local comp. It is done in a small, roped off area. The kids are allowed to use thier own cooker, and have one adult present. There are 2 comp reps overseeing the group (That do not judge). Rules state that the contestant must perform all hands on work, if the adult helper is witnessed with any utensils, food, or anything deemed "cooking or preparing", the contestants entry will be DQ'd.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

One of the things I have done is cook a porkchop right next to my daughter's and she watches what I do. Last event she got 1st place out of over 20 entries, I was very proud of her, she actually paid attention for a change.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
We do a kids q at a local comp. It is done in a small, roped off area. The kids are allowed to use thier own cooker, and have one adult present. There are 2 comp reps overseeing the group (That do not judge). Rules state that the contestant must perform all hands on work, if the adult helper is witnessed with any utensils, food, or anything deemed "cooking or preparing", the contestants entry will be DQ'd.
Well put and done. I think that one is a well thought out event, and well organized. I think the intimidation of cooking directly in front of the judges with strange equipment is too much stress on them. I know it would be on me....
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
acorette
Full Fledged Farker

This is crazy... They don't go to this level for the adults to make sure they don't cheat... Why put so much pressure on the kids!?! Shouldn't be necessary in my book. People taking the kids comp too seriously IMHO. Whoever accused you needs to ge t a life. Sheesh.

Custom Southern Yankee rotisserie trailer towed by the 8-Ball RV
Brinkmann Cimarron, Weber One Touch Gold (22.5), Camp Chef 2 burner stove + Griddle, 10, 16 and 20 qt Dutch ovens, Scottims Pit Grille
acorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Look my four year old cooked a kid's Q this year. The little dudes aren't too handy with the tongs and such. I helped him flip a few of his wings when they were about to fall off or get over done. Big deal. He was involved in every major step of the process including lighting the grill. He put his own rub on. He flipped his chicken. He put his chicken in the box. Did I help flip a couple wings, guide his hand sometimes when applying seasoning, or give him some direction on what his steps were? Sure. It is all about helping them learn and encouraging them. HE cooked his chicken. He even ran his own box to turn ins... with a guiding hand by dad so he didn't tip it over.

Parents who do everything for this kids when they are young will be doing everything for their kids when they are grown. You wanna cook your's Kid's contest, plan on them being Q'less and clueless when they are older cause you never taught them.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Amen!!!!!!!!!

I have been working with my kids for a event this weekend, they know the drill but I like to keep safety in mind so I will be right there every step of the way too. I honestly don't think I will have to do anything as they are a bit older but I would step in if they were leaning towards danger.

There's a big differance in cooking for them and teaching/ enjoying/ and staying safe.
JMO

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #9
beam boys bbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Look my four year old cooked a kid's Q this year. The little dudes aren't too handy with the tongs and such. I helped him flip a few of his wings when they were about to fall off or get over done. Big deal. He was involved in every major step of the process including lighting the grill. He put his own rub on. He flipped his chicken. He put his chicken in the box. Did I help flip a couple wings, guide his hand sometimes when applying seasoning, or give him some direction on what his steps were? Sure. It is all about helping them learn and encouraging them. HE cooked his chicken. He even ran his own box to turn ins... with a guiding hand by dad so he didn't tip it over.

Parents who do everything for this kids when they are young will be doing everything for their kids when they are grown. You wanna cook your's Kid's contest, plan on them being Q'less and clueless when they are older cause you never taught them.

atttt boy plow boy

there are some that just for get why we do the things that we do
our kids will never for get the times that they have had on the road cooking with there parents

york
beam boys bbq is offline   Reply With Quote