MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
qman
Babbling Farker

Default A question about the Danger Zone"

Let me start by saying this is an honest question, I am not challenging anyone here by it

I always thought the danger zone was applied to food storage and handling processes, and refered to the environmental temperature at which food was held. I see folk here refering to the danger zone as applied to food in a cooking environment, or to the internal temp of the food.
Is this correct?

Old 08-09-2006, 04:36 PM   #2
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'd say it all fits... If you have food in an environment that's 70 degrees, the food is going to reach that temperature eventually, whether it's hotter than that or colder than that to start. Since we're concerned with the consumption of the food, it follows that it all eventually relates to the internal temp and not the environmental temp, but due to heat transfer, the environmental temp has a lot of influence over the internal temp of the food.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
BrooklynQ
Banned

I was taught that the danger zone is the temps where bacterica can grow. from 41 degrees to 140 degrees So yes, all food passes thru a danger zone while it cooks. When internal food temp passes 140 the bacterica begin to die off. Under 41 they go dormant.

The longer food stays in the danger zone, more bacteria is born. So yes, this applies to the temp of the food itself, not the surrounding area.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote