MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 05-24-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
bbqjoe
Banned

Default Group Disscussion #4 Smoke and bacteria

I do not have an answer for this one.
I am wondering if maybe we might have a "special" case here when preparing our beloved BBQ.

Do you think smoke has any affect on bacteria?
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Yes! But I have absolutly nothing to back that up. Seems to me that if smoking (cold) is a form of preserving than it must stop/kill/inhibit bacteria somehow. That still leaves the toxins behind but if were exposed to smoke just from the fridge seems to me bacteria couldn't grow. ???
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Absolutely it does! I can't back up my claim, but we all know smoked leftovers stay good for a LONG time.

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
bigabyte

Without a doubt the smoke ring is a cured meat and that part is safer from those pesky bacteria. As far as just the smoke inhibiting bacterial growth, perhaps so. There are a lot of various gases in smoke, some of which may inhibit bacterial growth. Also, ash is generally present in small quantities in wood smoke, and that ash is alkaline, which is on the other end of the pH scale from what bacteria like as you pointed out to us yesterday. I don't have any facts to back it up, but I am thinking bacteria would have a harder time growing in a smoky environment. That's my story and I'm sticking with it until someone shows me otherwise. Then I'll simply change my mind and say that's what I believed ALL ALONG!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Smoke for long term food storage does help but is salt and cure that inhibits the growth of bacteria. Case in point I have seem a whole being smoked at to low pit temp, spoil while cooking. It is not as simple as smoke inhibits bacteria.
Jim
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:54 PM   #6
chad

I agree with Jim - the cure (with sugar, salt, and perhaps other igredients) is more important than the smoking for preserving meat - the long smoke time helps dry the meat and, of course, imparts flavor.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:08 AM   #7
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker

Would the smoke do the same thing that has been found in the cutting boards where the wood has less bacteria than the plastic?
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:10 AM   #8
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

smoking, essential dehydrating the meat makes it dry, of course we do thinks to keep it moist, but dry, dried meat will be inhabitable by bacteria. wasn't smoking a common form of food preservation in the old west? Jerky???
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:18 PM   #9
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
wasn't smoking a common form of food preservation in the old west? Jerky???
Yes it was, but smoke was used not necessarily for it's flavor enhancing qualities, but because it was how heat was available. As JM points out above, it's the cures (salt) before the "smoke" that does the deed.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote