Worst pork butts to date

Big slick

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I tried a few new methods last night on 2 8lb butts. I got them yesterday afternoon and had them trimmed, injected, seasoned and on the smoker in 30 minutes. Normally I do all of that but let the butts sit in the fridge overnight to let the meat absorb some of the rub. So this was my first new method. Next, I tried doing a hot and fast cook. I set up the smoker and buried 3 nice size chunks of apple wood. I got the smoker up to 325 and had the butts on by 4:30. When they hit 160 I foiled them till they were tender.

Here's a shot just before I foiled.
u8u6yty5.jpg

After 7 hrs they were almost a 100% probe tender. I had one that ha a section that was a little tough, but I didn't want to risk over cooking the rest of the butts. So I pull them off and rested them for an hour.

I pulled them and it looked and smelled amazing
dyteryte.jpg

I was pretty impressed until I took a bite. Blah city. I was so bummed. Everyone else said they liked it, but I found it to be sub par. Next time I am going to stick with overnight marinating and 250-275 smoke temps.

I hate you did not like it.Use whut works for you and the friends you are feeding.There is no Holy Grail in Q.I am thinking that you are your own worst critic.I too am guilty of that.Nothing is EVER as good as I want it to be,to me.

Looks Good! I like to inject and let them set overnight to. I think it's better.

I hate you did not like it.Use whut works for you and the friends you are feeding.There is no Holy Grail in Q.I am thinking that you are your own worst critic.I too am guilty of that.Nothing is EVER as good as I want it to be,to me.

At my house, the wife is my best critic, but that's another topic entirely.

Butts are one thing I prefer cooking with lower pit temps. My Egg likes to run at 240*, so I'm around there. I don't like the rendering when I cook them in the 275* range, and some of the individual muscle groups (like the ones around the blade) don't cook the way I want them to.

I don't know what you shoot your's with, but for several years I've been using strong pork stock (or smoked ham shank stock) and flat CocaCola. I add salt and some fine rub to that. It's a good foundation for a butt injection. Last year I started using Mexican Coke. It's available at my WalMart in glass bottles for $1.60 each. The plants in Mexico use real sugar, not corn syrup like the plants here. The sugar makes a big difference.

If you like whiskey and Coke, or Rum and Coke..... give Mexi-Coke a try and you will immediately see what I mean. Some of the bottles are pretty beat up and scratched from being used over and over, but the label will say made in Mexico and the ingredients list "sugar".

MexicanCoke.jpg

I will never understand why people on this forum are so obsessed with this "Hot and Fast" crap. Smoking meat is supposed to be an enjoyable, SLOW, good time, not a Hurry up and finish chore. Slow down, lower your temps, and enjoy yourself and your cooking.

Back