MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
Kung Fu BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Royal Kids Q

I pray that they do not try and do it again the same way they did it this year. In my opinion that was a cluster.
I know they wanted to make a show of the kids q, so they got all the kids in one area but that was a recipe for disaster. All it would of taken was one kid or parent to burn a leg, step into another grill and the domino effect of chaos would begin. Thankfully that didn't happen but my "dad instincts" were on fire. Talk about adding stress to something that is supposed to be fun for the kids.
But what really got me mad was telling the kids and parents that the winners would be announced at 6pm and deciding to do it earlier. We walked in about 10 til and they had just announced Great Grills as the Inv grand champs. Very happy for my Bfrethren. We wait as people file out, go up front and see what the deal is and they told us they already announced the kids. That things were running way ahead of schedule. Needless to say I have very upset little one now and we weren't alone. I saw kids crying in the hallway who had been informed it would be at 6 and missed it.
Luckily some kids were in and they got to experience hanging out on the stage infront of everyone and getting their ribbons.
I was greatly disappointed in how they handled it.

Brinkman Cimmaron
Weber
BBQ Grillware
Kung Fu BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

I agree. They need to rethink the way this was handled for next year. Kaylin did burn her leg....the lid got her. All the kids were way too close together, they had the area blocked by "hay squares," and I don't think they followed the 1 helper per child.

Kaylin was also very disappointed that she missed awards. I can understand that they wanted to make sure that there was a crowd there for them, but I think it is more important that all the kids are present.

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #3
jvreeland
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu BBQ View Post
Needless to say I have very upset little one now and we weren't alone. I saw kids crying in the hallway who had been informed it would be at 6 and missed it.
That is so disheartening.

I have never seen the Kids competitions, what all do they cook? How many kids competed?
jvreeland is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvreeland View Post
That is so disheartening.

I have never seen the Kids competitions, what all do they cook? How many kids competed?
It is up to the event org. to decide what the kids cook. At the AR 6-10 cooked hamburgers and 11-15 cooked chicken wings.

Kaylin has cooked chicken, steak, hamburger, pork chops & sausage at contests.

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote