MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #16
Rackovanz
Found some matches.

I think I may have the IQ dialed in, despite the answer from the manufacture was to learn how to cook on my grill before I could use it. I explained that I am capable of cooking on my pit manually with out an issue but the IQ just makes things worse. I think I may have figured out a way to make it "usable" Still not worth the money and I am not very happy with the purchase. I think the product is made to generic and not designed for a highly efficient egg style. I shouldn't have to jimmy rig it all to work. I would not recommend this product for other egg users. Unless customer service has a solution, I am not happy with it.
Rackovanz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

I honestly think that you don't need it with a kamado-type cooker, they are very easy and efficient to hold temp with manually, as you have found out.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #18
Birdie
On the road to being a farker

I was wanting a controller for my Akorn but as most have said the more I use it I find out it's pretty much set it and forget it. I've been writing down the vent settings for the 2-3 different temps I cook at and its been on every time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Old 10-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #19
rossmatt06
Knows what a fatty is.

Draft controllers have their place. The egg is perfectly capable of holding temps unassisted. That being said my stoker adds the ability to remotely monitor the pit and food temps, warn me of any issues, and raise or lower my pit temp as I feel necessary from my phone or PC. If I am doing some BBQ on the weekend I usually stick to manual temp control. During the week I can start the fire and let the draft control bring the egg up to temp while I prep the meat. I can throw the meat on and go to work knowing what is going on at any given time. If I feel the meat is getting done too fast or slow I can change the pit temp or use the crock pot feature. I have not use the iq110 but the NW gave it a good review. He did state a large overshoot initially until the controller settled in.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productrevi...1.htm#features

Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #20
Rackovanz
Found some matches.

Well I got an email from the owner of Pitmaster John. He wants to use my cooker to produce a FAQ video for using the IQ on the Akorn. I think it is a pretty cool offer to have the designer of the company work with my grill and my pitmaster to dial it in and then share the results with me. I only live about 45 mins from him and will be taking the pit up there this weekend.

I have been playing with it almost all day and I have used it to control a fire for 2 hours now +-10 at 225, It over shot to 237 and it is slowly falling back to 235 and seems stable for now.

I started with a very small fire, I hooked up the IQ and set it to 175. It over shot to 179 and stabilized. I then adjusted it to 200 and it over shot to 207. I then programmed it to 225 and it overshot to 237. I currently have a red light and the temp is falling. I am hoping that it returns close to 225 and maintains. However in the past it has overshot and then the bottom fell out of it and the fire died. So we will see.

I will update this post later tonight and let you all know how it goes. I have wasted a lot of lump to figure this out but for now it "seems" that I have got it down.

Zachary

Old 10-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #21
Rackovanz
Found some matches.

It fell to 208 and I am hoping it recovers. Update to follow.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #22
Rackovanz
Found some matches.

Well it recovered. But then it overshot again to 245 and bounced between 215 and 250 all night. Getting closer but still not where I need to be. Hopefully working with John will resolve it. I know the cooker can hold a steady temp on its own, I just need the iq for over nights.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #23
turkey_stalker
Got Wood.

Looking forward to hearing how the test goes!!

Old 10-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #24
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

You got the right idea by slowly bumping your target temp. Starting with a small fire and making sure your cooker is air tight around the vent area is important too. The top vent should be set to just 1/8 of inch or so.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2012, 02:42 AM   #25
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackovanz View Post
I think I may have the IQ dialed in, despite the answer from the manufacture was to learn how to cook on my grill before I could use it. I explained that I am capable of cooking on my pit manually with out an issue but the IQ just makes things worse. I think I may have figured out a way to make it "usable" Still not worth the money and I am not very happy with the purchase. I think the product is made to generic and not designed for a highly efficient egg style. I shouldn't have to jimmy rig it all to work. I would not recommend this product for other egg users. Unless customer service has a solution, I am not happy with it.

I'll take it off your hands

Old 10-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #26
rossmatt06
Knows what a fatty is.

Most pit controllers implement a pid algorithm to control temps. It is completely normal for the temps to overshoot and then drop below set point a few times while settling in. See this graph of a normal pid response.

http://www.library.cmu.edu/ctms/ctms...d/highgain.gif

I am glad you aren't giving up and the company is going above and beyond to help you!

Old 10-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #27
Rackovanz
Found some matches.

More testing tonight, I have a 8 pound pork butt on her. Getting closer to having good results.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #28
turkey_stalker
Got Wood.

How did the pork butt go?

Old 10-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #29
thompson238
Got Wood.

I think you will really like the Iq once you get it dialed in and you get accustom to using it . I used my performer for a couple years without the Iq controller and when I added the Iq it was awesome after it settled in .
thompson238 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #30
foppa78
On the road to being a farker

Is it windy where you smoke?
My akorn holds temps just fine unless it is windy out. Unfortunately my smoker is where it is frequently windy. I have a little wind block now and that has really helped.
foppa78 is offline   Reply With Quote