Going Naked at a KCBS Comp....

Southern Krunk BBQ Societ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Not me, but my box. Thinking about turning in my pork butt and brisket box without any garnish! Genius, idiot, or fool? What do you guys think?

I know most here will say you're nuts, but I wish this was the norm. Building a box is the most daunting part of the comp for me. If it wasn't for that I think I would enjoy comps a lot more.

At which contest? Judges are suppose to judge what is presented! That being said, if it is at a contest I'll be cooking, go for it, I need all the help I can get :twisted:

I've come very close to doing it a couple times but have yet been able to pull the trigger. Everyone kept telling it was suicide. Maybe this year....

I wouldnt do it, personally, but that's because IMHO even if not judged directly, the color contrast of the green background really frames the reddish nature of BBQ extremely well.

I have and scored well. Only brisket and pork all nines and two eights between the two boxes. Lexington nc last year.

If you do it like FBA cooks do & make a bed of meat instead of greens, it might work better. Otherwise it depends on how much meat you put in the box & layout. I think it might work better w/ brisket than pork due to the fact you can put burnt end chunks along w/ the slices & fill up the box pretty well & it look fine.

We all piss and moan about making boxes but ill be damned if naked boxes don't look like chit. Parsley and lettuce hide meat juices and just class everything up.

To not start a war, I think it's BS if your getting scored on how uniform your parsley is, I just think greens make the boxes infinanetly better

I don't like making boxes either, but with that being said, people eat with their eyes first and then their mouths! Presentation is of utmost importance whether it be a clamshell at a bbq comp, or plating a fine entre' on china.

Thanks for everyone's input. Planning on pulling the trigger on this at the Tupelo comp. About 100 teams there, may make me stand out or fall flat, who knows. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Still 50/50 on it, but leaning on doing this....gotta swing hard to hit a home run!

Might work as you are in MBN Country and they are used to no garnish that close to Memphis...let us know how it turns out...We will be one of the other 99 teams

Neil

I wouldn't but I don't use parsley anyways, takes us 4 minutes to build a box, Johnny Trigger styled,,,, It works.

If you do it like FBA cooks do & make a bed of meat instead of greens,

Do NOT make a bed of rib meat!

Any rib meat that isn't attached to the bone is a foreign object and will cost you. On the other meats you're good but not on the ribs.

Other than that as a personal matter I like the nekid boxes, that way I don't have to worry about missing the kale, red tipped, etc.

I had the opportunity to get to know a few judges at a competition I volunteered at last year. I asked them what they thought about having parsley in the boxes and would they miss it if it was gone. Everyone said it did add to the presentation. But everyone also said it was a PITA to pick the parsley off when it came to eatin time.

So my take was they wouldn't miss it, but that it would make a difference form a presentation point of view if they were comparing boxes with greens to those without.

Brian

Back