Cooling down a 15 pound Turkey

Jeff_in_KC said:
Thanks for all the compliments, guys! My wife said it tasted a LOT better today than last night and has suggested maybe I do the bird the night before and re-heat it the next day. I poo poo'ed that idea... reheated turkey? Ummm yeah. There's something I don't get excited over!

Jeff,
I cook up birds the day before, slice and then put them in crock pots while still hot and before they dry out. Put them out in the car trunk (Minnesota is a natural refrigerator in November) to keep the critters out, then reheat on turkey day. Stays real moist.

Chad

links no worky--at least not for me. could not get any of them to work.

qman said:
Chad

links no worky--at least not for me. could not get any of them to work.

Sorry - have no idea why not...I'll see if I can get them corrected.

They should work now...

chad said:
Sorry - have no idea why not...I'll see if I can get them corrected.

They should work now...

Thanks, they are working now. Interesting stuff.
In my practical experiance, running water baths seems the fastest way to cool large-mass foods quickly. I don't know if they still do, but commercial kitchens used to use running water baths to cool large stockpots of soup, stock, etc.
One of the things I do to cool liquid food like chile, soup, stocks, etc. fast is to put ice in zip-lock bags and submerge the bags into the pot with the product. Set the pot into a sink full of ice water, and stir. Replace Ice bags when ice melts and continue. You can cool a big pot of chile or stew down to room temp in just a few minutes this way, but it is labor intensive.

There are large size chill tubes (like you see at some wine bars or places that sever beer by the pitcher) and you freeze or fill with ice and then put into the tall pots to start chilling from the center of the pot. And, yeah the running water bath helps with large stock pots - it's a good idea to stir frequently, too.

Poultry, if you're going to precarve, can be parted out either before or after cooking and that'll reduce the mass to allow quicker cooling.

Kevin said:
Jeff,
I cook up birds the day before, slice and then put them in crock pots while still hot and before they dry out. Put them out in the car trunk (Minnesota is a natural refrigerator in November) to keep the critters out, then reheat on turkey day. Stays real moist.

Hey I heard somewhere that those crock pot things could be used for cooking brisket also.....right Phil

If you cool the bird down quickly and stick in the frig, how long to reheat say a 12 lb bird at 300 in the oven? Thanks for any help.

One of the things I do to cool liquid food like chile, soup, stocks, etc. fast is to put ice in zip-lock bags and submerge the bags into the pot with the product. Set the pot into a sink full of ice water, and stir. Replace Ice bags when ice melts and continue. You can cool a big pot of chile or stew down to room temp in just a few minutes this way, but it is labor intensive.

We set the pot in the sink with Blue Ice packs, and rotate the Blue Ice as it melts.

why don't you just set it outside on the glacier?:shock:

Real nice.. the dude in florida is raggin on the dude in Montana...

Now thats cold..

oh.. sorry, i mean..... thats cruel. :wink:

Back