Buckborad Bacon Cure?

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
found a box at a store yesterday and bought it along with two pork butts. Aside from the directions that come with it are there any other tips I should know?

I would like to get them going by the 19th so I can smoke them by the 27/28th. If I go a day more or a day less will that affect the outcome by much?

Has anyone done the Canadian Bacon with this cure and a pork loin? If so how did it turn out?
Dave

dave,
yes i do canadian bacon using a pork loin all the time and it comes out fabulous. cut the cure time down to around 5 days though. I'd recommend sticking with the cure time that they call for. About only tip I can give you is to thoroughly rinse the butts after they are finished curing and perhaps even soak them in pan of water for hour or 2. Some folks like to let them air dry in fridge uncovered for a while to develop a "pellicle"
good luck!

dave,
yes i do canadian bacon using a pork loin all the time and it comes out fabulous. cut the cure time down to around 5 days though. I'd recommend sticking with the cure time that they call for. About only tip I can give you is to thoroughly rinse the butts after they are finished curing and perhaps even soak them in pan of water for hour or 2. Some folks like to let them air dry in fridge uncovered for a while to develop a "pellicle"
good luck!

That sounds good, just to make sure I understand 5 days on the loin and stick with their recommendation on the butts.

Really looking forward to trying it and because Canadian bacon is kind of expensive if it turns out my wife will love me for a long time to come.:lol: I am thinking Eggs Benedict maybe, with a nice tall Bloody Mary.:icon_cool
Dave

Go to thirdeye's site he has some realy good insight on making bacon

Back