Canadian Bacon Cure

R

Roo-B-Q'N

I have a small pork loin that I am curing using the instructions from the Morton book on curing meat. It has been in my fridge in a ziplock for over a week and a half and has put of very little liquid. The garage Fridge is fairly cold pop turns to slush if the outside temp is below freezing for more then a week, but it has not been that cold around here. No off smell or sliminess. Is this a gonner?

Also I cured two small pork bellies and low smoked them and placed them in the refirdgerater two weeks ago and forgot about them until now. No off smell, just wondering if they should be used or pitched.

I have a small pork loin that I am curing using the instructions from the Morton book on curing meat. It has been in my fridge in a ziplock for over a week and a half and has put of very little liquid. The garage Fridge is fairly cold pop turns to slush if the outside temp is below freezing for more then a week, but it has not been that cold around here. No off smell or sliminess. Is this a gonner?

Also I cured two small pork bellies and low smoked them and placed them in the refirdgerater two weeks ago and forgot about them until now. No off smell, just wondering if they should be used or pitched.
A week and a half sounds like a long time for a pork loin... (Hi Mtn. recommends only 5 days)... You may be alright because your fridg. was so cold... I would take it out and start the rinse/soak/repeat process and get it on the smoker...

The good news is that you stated that is didn't smell and wasn't slimy...

Good Luck!!!

I took a 2# loin and cured it into a small hammy for 5 days.

Are you concerned about the quantity if liquid that it yielded?

The loin is such a lean piece of meat that it doesnt yield much liquid. I had the same concern when i did it for the first time but it came out fine

I doing some buck board bacon it didn't put off very much liguid either. Not much to worry about if it in fridge. When I was a kid we kill hogs would salt ham ,shoulder and bacon down put them in a outhouse they always keep we would use them the following summer.

Well I followed the instruction further in the Morton Meat Curing book and let it soak for an hour and a half (book only said half hour). It had no mention of smoking, only oven baking. So I went to Charcatuire(SP) book on curing meat and making sausage and they said to hot smoke it to 150*.

I did this today and I think it could have soaked for A LOT longer, it came out pretty good. I will use it on a pizza later and whatever else I can think of. I will post oictures when I can get them off the camera.

Roo, My Morton book says:
1 boneless pork loin trimmed of all fat
1 tbls Tender Quick per pound of meat
1 tsp sugar per pound of meat
rub mixture into meat, put in a plastic bag and refrigerate and cure 3-5 days
Remove from cure rinse and soak in clear fresh water for 30 minutes. Pat dry and air dry in fridge slightly before slicing and cooking. I made this using a venison back strap and it turned out pretty good although dry...hope this helps

Made me some with Buckboard mix. So good it's almost gone. Sure it will be great.

I got some Hi Mountain cure from Brian in So Cal ( Thanks again Brian ), and have next 2 weeks off....lookin forward to my first attempt doing this....looking forward even more at sampling when done.....the curing process is gonna seem like ages im sure....Pron will accompany the process.

Roo, My Morton book says:
1 boneless pork loin trimmed of all fat
1 tbls Tender Quick per pound of meat
1 tsp sugar per pound of meat
rub mixture into meat, put in a plastic bag and refrigerate and cure 3-5 days
Remove from cure rinse and soak in clear fresh water for 30 minutes. Pat dry and air dry in fridge slightly before slicing and cooking. I made this using a venison back strap and it turned out pretty good although dry...hope this helps

Yep that was what I was following. I wasn't aware that the loin would not put off more liquid than it did, as I am used to pork belly curing and having a lot of liquid.

I soaked for an hour and a half at least, but it is way to salty. But it does tast hammy. So we will be using it on a pizza tonight. Hey I can post pics of that to! :-D

Until thenthis is how my Canadian Bacon came out. Smoked it to 150*

31508cook004Small.jpg

One thing I have noticed is the taste changes a little with the thickness of the slice. If the slice is thick, either a butt or loin, it tastes more hammy. I got a slicer to make that work out consistantly. I rinse my for two hours, changing water every 30 minutes. Comes out real tasty. Hope this helps. ,,,,,oh, do another one...just try the 5 days for a loin. Let us know if it works better.

One thing I have noticed is the taste changes a little with the thickness of the slice. If the slice is thick, either a butt or loin, it tastes more hammy. I got a slicer to make that work out consistantly. I rinse my for two hours, changing water every 30 minutes. Comes out real tasty. Hope this helps. ,,,,,oh, do another one...just try the 5 days for a loin. Let us know if it works better.
When I do BBB I soak mine for 3+ hours, rinsing atleast 5 times (before, at each water change, and at the end) then air dry in the fridge over night.... Also, I take mine to 165 so I can put it in a sandwich without further cooking....

Back