Hi Mountain Jerky Cure & Seasoning

wnkt

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I just got a variety pack of jerky cure with Mesquite, Hickory, Cracked Pepper 'n Garlic, Cajun and Original seasonings for my birthday ( any more gifts are gladly accepted
icon_biggrin.gif
).
Anyone ever use this, or even done any jerky on your smoker? It seems like a pretty straightforward process.
I was thinking of ordering the Buckboard bacon cure kit and try that (I have a pork loin in the freezer I was planning on using)....so it was kinda suprising that I got the Jerky cure as a gift
icon_smile.gif

And to give me a little push to give it a try , I also got a pack of beef jerky with it, as if to say....."see what you can make?......you know you want to try it, what ya waiting for?"
icon_biggrin.gif

It's good stuff, bro. People around here use it all the time. I've made a couple of batches of jerky with Hi Mountain cure and it always turns out great. I like to slice mine a little thicker for good chewy jerky. Have fun experimenting!

I'll recommend anything from Hi-Mountain as far as quality and intstructions are concerned. Now, finding your favorite flavor of jerky cure, your on your own. ;) Also, get that Buckboard Bacon Cure ordered, the instructions are great and easy to follow and it turns out a good product as well.

Hi Mountain sells a good quality product. I've tried them all. The cracked pepper and garlic is my favorite.

I picked some up when I was in Dallas a month ago and I am looking forward to using it. A friend of mine swears by it.

It works great most od the butcher shops around here use it for thier venison jerky, I use it all the time have some habanero i'm gonna use up over christmas.

Can somebody enlighten me on the jerky "process?" I've been thinking about making some ever since I picked up a few pounds from the Dublin Jerky store in northern Michigan. (Which has some great jerky.)

Smokinbadger, we make jerky a lot and have done it several ways, but the way that we have settled on is pretty darn easy. Get yourself a decent pieve of beef. One that has very little marbeling. Less fat in this instance is good as if it does not dry out all the way you are opening yourself to a quick mold situation.
Cut the meat up into slices as thick as you like. The thicker the cut the longer it is going totake to dehydrate.
At this point you can marinate in whatever marinade you prefer. However, since you are trying to go for dehydration, adding more liquid will increase your dehydration time. We use the jerky rub, it might be Hi-Mountain. We have then used our offset to smoke/dehydrate. I can't remeber what temps though it has been a few years. We redid our kitchen and our oven has a dehydrating setting, so we uses that.
I think the most important part is to get a lean piece of meat. IMO it is really nasty to chew into a cold, rubbery piece of fat.

I use top or bottom round steak. I purchase mine at Sams Club. Last month I bought an 8# chunk of beef. After trimming it out I had 6# of usable meet for jerking. I sliced it 3/8 inch thick. Applied Hi-Mountain Seasoning. It says to lay pieces out flat...............ect. I just throw weighted out portions of meat into a big bowl and apply seasoning. Mix well and into ziplock bags. Turn a few times during the marinating. Then I place meat on s/steel jerky rods and head to smoker. I like it when its still semi soft stage. My fav. type of Hi-Mountain is orange terayaki sp?

jerky

one other thing is to cut the meat "with grain"..this will give you that nice jerky "pull" making it chewy..a bit of Tender Quick will also help preserve it and defer any mold problems..I dehydrate mine in a dehydrator and just before it's done I throw it in my smoker to finish and get a nice smokey flavor...Wi-Doe

I like to slice with the grain too. I chill the meat in the freezer before slicing. After curing, I lay the slices out on a cutting board, lightly sprinkle with rub or pepper, then lightly work over with one of those tenderizing hammers with the pyramids. Turn over and repeat.

This does 3 things:
* makes sure each slice is even thickness
* drives the rub into the meat
* gives you more surface area which helps the drying.

Chilling is important! Trying to cut room temp meat to a consistant thickness, even with a slicer, is difficult.

My favorite recipe is honey-peppercorn jerkey. Slice the meat and rub it with your favorite spices, then heat up a bowl of honey in the microwave until it's like water. Brush it on the meat and dip the slices in cracked pepper. Press down to get a firm attachment. Dry. Eat.

I've used hi mountain seasonings with hamburger and one of those caulking gun type things that squeezes it out in different shapes then put in dehyrdator.

Mostly I use my own recipe though and use round steak. partially freeze to facilitate slicing more uniform. I generally only put it on the smoker for an hour or so then finish in the dehydrator. seems to work better for me.

my 2 cents on jerky :)

Back