The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
jeffie7
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Rack of pork, to sear or not to sear? + pointers,

If my local store has a rack of pork, I plan on smoking it today.

I noticed that some people place it directly over the heat source for 10 minutes or so to get some nice char going, then indirect at 250 until the pork reaches 138, pull and foil/rest, others just slap it straight on the indirect side and go.

I plan on brining the pork, drying it off then seasoning it with kosher salt and fresh pepper.

At 250o and a temp of 138, roughly what time should I expect the pork to be on? 2-3 hours?

Any pointers on making rack of pork?
jeffie7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I didn't sear mine. I had thought about it, but it was looking good when it was done so I let it be. Also it had a pretty decent fat cap on it which will shrink up and pull back with a sear - at least when I do it. When I do a sear, I usually do it at the end, in which case I'd probably go no more than 135 IT since it'll slide up more with the sear and rest.

I also didn't tent with foil on mine - the timing happened to be just right for a decent rest while I got the sides going, but if it had to sit for a while I would have tented.

Let us know how it goes!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
jeffie7
Knows what a fatty is.

Bummer that my local wegmans didn't have rack of loin, so I asked for a 4 bones worth of uncut center cut pork chops.

I trimmed the fat cap since I want as much bark I can get without the fat, I cross hatched the meat and its currently brinning.

I'll update later on, Trick will be getting the temp just right since I removed most of my insurance, (the fat cap)

Old 05-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
jeffie7
Knows what a fatty is.

Here's the pictures.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=189542

Thanks from:--->