• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A Tale of Two Spatchcocks

T

The Pickled Pig

I started with a couple of innocent yardbirds from Sams.

1.jpg

I spatchocked the birds.

2.jpg

Then I removed the breast bone and cartilege and halved them.

3.jpg

For one of the birds, I made a fairly standard overnight brine.

4.jpg

5.jpg

For the other bird, I used an injection/marinade.

6.jpg

7.jpg

I rinsed them thoroughly and rubbed them with Cimmaron Docs Sweet Rub.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

I then harnessed the power of my rotisserie smoker (used cherry for the smoke). I had the DigiQ set for a pit temp of 300F.

11.jpg

After 1 hour, I flipped the birds.

12.jpg

After 2 hours and 170F internal, I put the birds in a chaffing pan with Parkay and Stubbs Chicken Marinade and covered with foil.

13.jpg

I placed the chaffing pan on the cool side of my cooker at a grate temp of 175F. After 90 minutes, I decided it was time to pull them off and prepare them for serving.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Both chickens were delicious but I strongly favored the injected/marinaded one. I served them with potato salad and homemade blackberry cobbler in a vanilla creme rum anglaise sauce.

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

Well fark, I was doing so good with not being hungry tonight, now I have to eat something. Unfortunately I don't have any of that.

MAN!!!!!!!! I hope you saved me some!! THATS SOME GOOD LOOKIN EATS!!!

What did you use in the brine & marinade??

I just got home from a baseball game where I was fed the worst hamburgers in the entire world.

And this is what I have to look at. Amazing job...

That looks so good,and i think i could hurt somebody over that cobbler!! :)

What a way to wake up! Now I'm really hungry! That all looks great, Paul, but the cobbler really caught my eye :rolleyes:

Hmmmmmm. Chicken.

Looks great, I need to do one sometime.

Absolutely beautiful. Nice job Paul, you got my mouth watering. I know they had to taste as good as they lookid.

Back