Thanksgiving Turkey

Grafixgibbs

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Ok This is a bit off for today but...

At Thanksgiving I smoke turkey and everytime my skin comes out rubbery. How do you get it to crisp up? I brine it dry it and this year I tried covering it with a cheesecloth soaked in butter. It was yummy as usual but the skin is not crispy. I cook it at about 275 too.

And just for kicks here are pictures of it.
103_0383.JPG

103_0384.JPG

Looks very good.

I am anxiously awaiting Valentine's Day so we can see what you cooked for for Christmas dinner.

Looks very good.

I am anxiously awaiting Valentine's Day so we can see what you cooked for for Christmas dinner.

Just joined recently so I couldn't ask before thanksgiving. :) I'm not cooking today though but we are having roast beast my father-in-law is cooking.

But I'm trying to find out how to get the skin crispy. Love the smoked turkey but just want crispy skin.

I slip my smoked turkey into my handy dandy Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Roaster for a couple of minutes to crisp up the skin.

What NorCo said get the heat in your cooker up and it'll crisp the skin just fine..........

Hey guys, think about mayo. It is predominately oil. It does what any fat or oil will do.

Grafixgibbs
What kind of smoker do you use. I use water smokers and usually the skin turns out tender but not crisp or rubbery. I pull the water bowl for the last hour of the cook or so. Usually I bump up the temp at this time too to 325* or so. Also I use a paper bag to tent with when I rest. This lets a little of the steam escape while not allowing in too much heat to be released.

Hey guys, think about mayo. It is predominately oil. It does what any fat or oil will do.

Grafixgibbs
What kind of smoker do you use. I use water smokers and usually the skin turns out tender but not crisp or rubbery. I pull the water bowl for the last hour of the cook or so. Usually I bump up the temp at this time too to 325* or so. Also I use a paper bag to tent with when I rest. This lets a little of the steam escape while not allowing in too much heat to be released.

I use a charbroil offset smoker. I will have to try pumping the heat up at the end and the paper tent. It always looks like it will come out nice and bite through but ends up a bit tough and not too easy to bite through.

I use a charbroil offset smoker. I will have to try pumping the heat up at the end and the paper tent. It always looks like it will come out nice and bite through but ends up a bit tough and not too easy to bite through.

When I was using an offset and even now in my WSM I don't place the bird in a pan. I place the pan under the bird by several inches. This way I catch the drippings and still hat the aromatics to enhance the bird. Maybe doing that keeps my skin more tender. That is the only thing you are doing that is different than mine othr than usually I use a lower temps. Also are you basting the bird? If so just rub it down with butter and/or oil. No basting should be needed if the bird was brined.

Back