Shelf life of BBQ sauce

Brian in Maine

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have had a BBQ deprived winter, due to knee and hip problems. I'm smoking 2 butts tonight, and wondering if the year old Blues Hog Original, and Tennessee Red sauces in my fridge are still good. TIA Brian

I dont think u should have a problem with em. Ive had a bottle of Tennesse red goin on close to that and i still use it. no ill effects here.

How long do you think opened commercial sauces can be used ?

DM

I find that they just tend to loose flavor, I've yet to have a bbq sauce actually go bad on me. Granted I haven't really had a sauce (opened) for more than a year or so.

With all the persatives in the commerical sauce prolly 1k years

That seems about right. My last batch of Q sauce lasted about 9 months, just fine with no preservatives. It was more a KC type sauce, but I guess just a little splash of vinegar, plus the acids from the tomato goes a long way.

Most of us do not use preservatives!! We make sure that our sauces are shelf stable!! ( 4.5 Ph or less ) Bacteria can not grow in this invironment and will not cause illness. There is nothing that us sauce producers want more, than to have a safe product. I have open bottles of my sauce in my pantry that are weeks old and just as good as the day they were made.

Spice

I am doing a science experiment.:evil:
I have a 1/2 bottle of Kraft BBQ suace and a Twinkie sitting in the fridge.:shock:
I am trying to see which one will go bad first. Been going on 9 years and counting!:eek::eek:

Not. Borat Mod:lol:

I have had a BBQ deprived winter, due to knee and hip problems. I'm smoking 2 butts tonight, and wondering if the year old Blues Hog Original, and Tennessee Red sauces in my fridge are still good. TIA Brian
From what I can tell from my own purchases, I'd say those two sauces are fine to use for your own consumption. BUT . . . if you're cooking for hire so that other people will eat your butt, then no. Best to stay on the safe side with a vending or catering job.

But for your own use, I say go for it! I have a jar of Blues Hog that's still jammin' - I just checked it because of this post.

If it doesn't have hair or smell funky, I'd use it!

Hope this helps!

if anything the flavor may change a bit over time if its open..unless its a sauce I didnt like most of mine never were around long enough to go bad..
My bottler did put an expiration date on mine only because color and flavor can change but it would have to be sitting a long time to ever reach that..
I would hope it would fly off the shelves before then :)

Back