Brisket Flats

Porky

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I am looking for 6-7 lb briskett flats and am unable to find any here on Long Island. I know many of you "Farkers" live here and I hope you will give me some help.

Thanx Les:p

Why not just buy the whole brisket and trim off the flats, and use the point for other things such as chilli, burnt ends, stews etc?

Les, we aren't "Farkers"...we're Farkers.....see the difference? :biggrin:

For flats have you looked at Sams, Costco, BJs....places like that? Alot of them carry flats. They might order them for you, too. Otherwise, a good butcher (hard to find these days) should be able to hook you up.

bbqjoe said:
Why not just buy the whole brisket and trim off the flats, and use the point for other things such as chilli, burnt ends, stews etc?

That would be my call, as well. You can rarely find decent sized briskets at grocery stores around here but usually can find packers cuts at Costco. And you can definitely find them through restuarant supply places like Restaurant Depot but need a connection to a restaurant or non-profit.

I have yet to see packers at costco, but they always have nice flats. Sometimes, when ya get lucky, they have some huge flats with nice caps.

Full packers are at BJ's, Sams and Restaurant Depot. Resturant depot carries the Sterling Angus, which is supposed to be the top 10% of CAB.

Thanks for all the hints, they are appreciated. I have gotten briskets from Restaurant Depot and they have been fantastic. I have never seen them(packers) in BJ or Costco, but I will look again and ask about them. By far the best deal is Rest. Depot at $1.85 lb for the Black Angus. I shop in the BJ's in Freeport and the Costco in Westbury, there is no Sam's that I know of.
Oh, by the way Backyardchef, now I see the difference and a Big Thank You to Phil. I met you at the Grill Kings @ Belmont and you were nice enough to sit down and talk with me about brisket and other things. I just love this site.

Les

Could someone explain the difference between the cuts on a brisket. I just order a whole brisket from my butcher ususally so I don't know the difference. What parts are what?

Great now I got a new excuse to buy another whole brisket. I"ve jsut been smoking the whole. Still eats good just not as pretty.

Pig Headed-

Thanks for the great tutorial. Now I have a better clue on how to seperate and trim to get the flat I am looking for. Do I cook the point to 170 just like the flat before I pull them out of my cooker and wrap? Any additional tips?

Les

Pig Headed said:

Well, I have always cooked em whole too. Will have to try this way next time.

Pig Headed-

Thanks for the great tutorial. Now I have a better clue on how to seperate and trim to get the flat I am looking for. Do I cook the point to 170 just like the flat before I pull them out of my cooker and wrap? Any additional tips?

Les

Les, you mean to foil and put back on, right? just want to be sure in my head.:confused:

Mike- Yes that is correct. I foil and put them back in the cooker till they reach 195-200. Then I pull them out and put the in the cooler with blankets around them for 2-3 hours and then I slice or chop them.

Les

I personally don't seperate the point from the flat until they are both done. You could then cube up and reseason the point and return to the cooker if you wanted to make "burndt ends".

Les, have you tried the compare foods market on merrick road in freeport, the bigger one on the south side, you might be surprised at what you will find in the meat department

SmokeInDaEye said:
I personally don't seperate the point from the flat until they are both done. You could then cube up and reseason the point and return to the cooker if you wanted to make "burndt ends".

Yeah it seems easier to do it that way. Of course I like both types of meat on brisket. don't fully understand those that cook a brisket and only slice up the flat. but, to each his own.

tjus77 said:
don't fully understand those that cook a brisket and only slice up the flat.

Ditto, and when I did do burnt ends that one time, didn't really go over too well :sad: . Unless I did something wrong :confused:

It's pretty hard to find a whole packer cut here. Bj's has nicer flats than Costco, but niether carry packers here. There's one place that I found that carrys them, but they're not that big and very high priced.

Sledneck said:
Les, have you tried the compare foods market on merrick road in freeport, the bigger one on the south side, you might be surprised at what you will find in the meat department

Sledneck

Thanks for the heads up on Compare Foods, I will check it out the next chance I get to go shopping.

Les:-D

Back